BELGRADE THEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1323696
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1998
Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, BELGRADE SQUARE
Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, CORPORATION STREET
Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, UPPER WELLS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELGRADE THEATRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323696.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 17:16:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, BELGRADE SQUARE
Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, CORPORATION STREET
Statutory Address:
BELGRADE THEATRE, UPPER WELLS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Coventry (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 33137 79200

Details

COVENTRY

833/4/10021

SP 3379 SW

BELGRADE SQUARE (south west side)

Belgrade Theatre

II

Includes: Belgrade Theatre, UPPER WELLS STREET. Includes: Belgrade Theatre, CORPORATION STREET.

Civic repertory theatre, incorporating flats and offices.1956-8 by Coventry City Architect's Department: chief architect Arthur Ling, principal architect Douglas Beaton, group architect Kenneth G King with H W Pearson, K Edgar, M McLellan, W Armstrong, Jean Hanney and G Bryson. Peter Jay engineer, with the Building Research Establishment.

Steel frame clad in whitbed and roach Portland stone with spar dash finish to exposed concrete of auditorium shell and brick to Corporation street elevation; that to Belgrade Square with five panels of double-height glazing. Entrance at junction of Belgrade Square and Corporation Street gives left on to cafe with restaurant over, and right on to double-height foyer the length of the facade. Behind this the auditorium with boxes and gallery which rises behind facade. Backstage area not of special interest. Offices over foyer, the Corporation Street facade with 6 shops and originally 21 flats for visiting actors now mainly used as offices. The foyer with auditorium rising behind make a symmetrical composition to Belgrade Square, with metal framed glazing. City crest on auditorium wall. Offset entrance to left under small balcony with straight metal balusters. Corporation Street elevation projects on columns over shops, which are not of special interest. Cafe with blind panels of stone between metal windows, on which survives original lettering 'BELGRADE THEATRE'. First floor restaurant in projecting first floor frame incorporating relief by J C (Jimmie) Brown based on C17 engraving of Belgrade. The 21 former flats with square windows in rendered surrounds.

The interior survives with little alteration to the public areas save that the entrance was remodelled in 1984 and a coffee bar installed. Long narrow foyer on two floors with pierced openings and open well stairs to either end. Ground floor mural by Martin Froy depicting the four seasons in tesserae. Hanging lamps by Bernard Shottlander, a good example of Coventry's post-war policy of including works by German artists and craftsmen in many of their public building. 862-seat auditorium with stalls and single circle; a feature of the side walls are two tiers each of three stepped boxes, the upper ones giving the effect of loge seating. Two further boxes to rear of stalls either side of lighting and sound control box. Troughed ceiling lined with Yugoslavian beech, a gift of the City of Belgrade, its curves engineered by the BRE to give the best acoustical effect. Side walls of West African makoke veneer. Proscenium arch stage, with extendable forestage over orchestra pit. Backstage areas remodelled in early 1960s and in 1994 and not of special interest.

The gift of beech wood promised by a Yugoslavian trade delegation in 1954 gave the theatre its name. The resulting design, especially with its loges, is the best example of the Royal Festival Hall (already listed) style adapted to theatrical use.

The Belgrade is singularly important as Britain's first civic theatre, and the first professional theatre of any kind to be built after the Second World War. It is a significant and early element in the replanning of the new city.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 7 November 2019.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469317
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architects Journal' in 7 August, (1958), 201-209
'Architecture and Building' in June, (1958), 215-219
'Architect and Building News' in 28 June, (1958), 797-804

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].