Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1324486
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Street, Sturminster Newton

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1324486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:38:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Street, Sturminster Newton

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sturminster Newton
National Grid Reference:
ST 78804 13950

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/06/2019

ST 7813 9/127

STURMINSTER NEWTON CHURCH STREET Church of St Mary

(Formerly listed under CHURCH LANE)

4.10.60

GV I Parish Church. Nave, north and south aisles and west tower c.1400; Clerestorey c.1500, chancel, south chapel, north and south transepts and extensive restoration 1820s. Earliest work for John Selwood, Abbot of Glastonbury, 1820s work for Rev. T.H Lane Fox by William Evans of Wimborne Minster. Walls largely of greensand ashlar with ashlar dressings, gable ended roofs of stone slate and lead.

Plan: nave with north and south aisles and clerestorey, west porch with tower over, north and south transepts, chancel with north vestry and south chapel. All work in 'perpendicular' style. Windows with panel tracery with two-centred heads except for those of the clerestorey which have square heads. West door has a chamfered two-centred head, continuous jambs with broachstops and a moulded label.

Three-stage tower: first stage has diagonal buttresses with an original two-light window with two-centred head over the door. The second stage has a west window uniform with that of the lower stage. The third stage has C15 belfrey windows partially obscured by the nave roof and by C19 clock faces. Above is a low C19 stage with lattice panelled masonry and quatrefoil loops surmounted with an embattled parapet with crocketed finials. There is a C19 porch leading to the south aisle.

Internal features: the nave has a four-bay arcade with two-centred arches which crosses the transept. The chancel has a similar arcade of two bays. The nave roof is noteworthy: it is a wagon type of c.1500 with three tie beams, carved bosses and carved flying angels which are situated at the springing point of the transverse ribs. The chancel and transepts have plainer barrel vaults and the north and south aisles, north vestry and south chapel have flat ribbed ceilings.

Pews, pulpit, screens and font C19. Various monuments of C18 and C19. Stained glass of the C19 and C20 including interesting south east aisle window by Harry Clarke, 1921. Externally, under the east chancel window, is an inscription commemorating the Rev T H Lane Fox.

Listing NGR: ST7880413951

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102411
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 269-271
Morshead, O, The Story of the Parish Church of St Mary Sturminster Newton
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 406

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05100/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].