Church of St Michael (including tower)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1324732
Date first listed:
05-May-1952
Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Poole Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Michael (including tower)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1324732.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 08:17:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael, Poole Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 07943 91197

Details

768/9/8

POOLE ROAD (north side) Church of St Michael (including tower)

05-MAY-52

GV II* 1873-76, R. Norman Shaw, tower 1900-1, John Oldrid Scott. Shaw's church conventional externally: high clerestory with coupled lancets, wider spaced lancets to aisles, gabled south porch, triple-chamfered arch. Lean-to western narthex, 1930 by W.D Caröe.

Chancel windows are groups of traceried lancets under relieving arches, five-light at east, three-light at sides. South east War Memorial Chapel, Y-tracery windows, 1920 by Sir T.G Jackson. North east gabled organ chamber and flat-roofed vestry (high chimney) attached by single-storey link (traceried, canted bay on west side) to Church Hall. Splendid high and massive tower at south east corner of nave: very tall couple two-light belfry windows with two transoms and Y-tracery, big polygonal pinnacles on clasping buttresses with many set-offs, gabled doorway to south, gabled stair-turret to north east.

Interior with five-bay nave arcades, triple-chamfered on circular columns, clerestory windows with boldly unmoulded splays, connected at top by double-chamfered inner arches, each pair framed by sharp triangular shafts on corbels, with stringcourse below and continuous cornice. Roof of three posts on tiebeam, open canted rafters.

Elaborate but conventional furnishings by R.G Pinder: pulpit 1889 (sculptor, W.J Warren, alabaster panels, green colonnettes, pink marble arches); murals in chancel 1889 (painted by Cox Sons, Buckley and Co); reredos 1884 (English altar with Majestas added circa 1925).

Stained glass: twenty good aisle windows by Henry Holiday for Powells, circa 1880, east window by Mayer and Sons of Munich 1882 west window by Christopher Whall 1913. Sculpture in War Memorial Chapel by Sir George Frampton.

The Church and Church Hall of St Michael form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ0794391197

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101815
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/74075
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/74074
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/74080
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/74077
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/74081
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51263
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51270
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51268
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51266
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51267
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51264
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51262
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51269

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04847/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].