CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1324751
Date first listed:
05-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, ST CLEMENT'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1324751.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 08:43:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, ST CLEMENT'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 10728 92127

Details

101831 / 134 768/23/7 ST CLEMENT'S ROAD 11-OCT-01 (South side) CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT

GV I

23/7 ST CLEMENT'S ROAD

1. (South Side) 5l86 Church of St Clement SZ 1092 23/7 5.5.52 I GV

2. 1871-3, J D Seddings first major church, tower added 1890-3 after Sedding's death, redesigned above 1st floor level by Henry Wilson. Tower has west doorway in recess under big cusped segmental arch with rubble spandrels (church and tower otherwise of smooth ashlar); 8-light west window with Crucifixion sculpture b. F W Pomeroy over ogee lights and foliage-carved sill, 3 2-light windows to each face of belfry with sculptured medallions on transom, openwork traceried battlements between octagonal turrets on corner buttresses (foliage corbels); bigger stair turret at north-east, central Hertfordshire spike spirelet. Church has north aisle with 3-light windows (west window high up) on continuous sill over moulded plinth, far-projecting castellated lead spouts on brackets to gutter, north porch with statue in gable and intricate iron gates. North chapel (Lady Chapel) has deep flat parapet piered with small quatrefoils; small flat-headed lancets with ogee lights set between gabled buttresses with set-offs, 4-light east window also flat- headed. Tall 2-light windows between buttresses in south wall of nave. South-east vestry of red brick (small Tudor-tyle bricks) with stone dressings: big stone chimney with vertical ribbing and traceried buttresses on west gable, 5-light window to south. Higher organ chamber and oratory, with similar brickwork and chimney, flat parapet. Passage to vicarage, against brick and stone east wall, has timber white-painted cloister openings, 4-centred, under lean-to; hipped roof to entrance lobby. Link to vicarage now broken by siting of new vicarage (1960) further east. Interior has 5-bay north arcade: acutely pointed arches with thin mouldings carried continuously down into slender piers, interrupted only by thin stringcourse at capital level. Blind frieze of Perp stone panelling at clerestory level, kingpost roof on bowed tiebeams Tall tower arch, west window glass by Holiday circa 1895. North aisle roof also has big tiebeams, on timber wall shafts. Octagonal font with sculptured panels, on steps, cover has crocketed spire over gabled foliage panels. Pulpit also octagonal and with sculptured panels, on octagonal base, railing to steps with Art Nouveau finials added circa 1890. Brass eagle lectern on square base with intricate parapet and pair of statues, made by Barkentin and Krall, 1876. Window over pulpit by Bryans and Webb, tablet to Rev C H Thompson (died 1899). Good bronze bas-relief of Rev W Purton (died 1891), probably by F W Pomeroy flanked by qualtrocentre angels. Timber lobby to north door with linenfold panelling and foliage cornice. Chancel arch (no capitals) encloses elaborate rood screen on pattern of that at Berkeley, Glos: wide spread segmental arch with traceried spandrels under straight cornice, interrupted central by narrow ogee arch with elaborate iron gates. Chancel pointed wagon roof on angel frieze, stencil patterns on walls painted over 1969) dominated by huge reredos of 1882-3, carved by G W Seale: Adoration of Magi flanked by elaborate niches, pinnacled canopy over central gilt cross (original and very fine); east wall to left and right has two tiers of statues under vaulted coving. East window glass by Bryans and Webb (Kempe style), circa 1899, 2 remarkable south windows, circa 1895, by Christopher Whall, brown and silver wash effect. Choir stalls with poppy heads circa 1875, sedilia of timber, with foliage-carved round arches, probably by Brindley, circa 1905, Lady Chapel has stone screen of three 3-light openings with transom, plus ogee arch, stone parolose screen matched by that under organ (wrought-iron balcony) on south of chancel. Lady Chapel walls panelled in stone, reredos with Lily flanked by Annunciation and Expulsion from Garden with pinnacled statue at each end, wagon-roofed ceiling with criss-cross ribs, glass by Westlake. Elaborate encaustic tiles in chancel and chapel, tile patterns also in nave.

Church of St Clement, with Churchyard Cross and Graves, Vicarage Walls, St Clement School, Schoolhouse and No l2A, form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ1072492124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101831
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06565/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Wiles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].