CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1325078
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1325078.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:25:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Bigbury
National Grid Reference:
SX 66786 46642

Details

BIGBURY - SX 64 NE 5/1 Church of St Lawrence 26.1.67 GV II*

Anglican parish church. C14 and C15 but '... all but rebuilt by J Sedding in 1872' (Pevsner). Rubble stone, slate roofs to coped gables. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south transept, south porch, west tower with spire. Tower has diagonal buttresses to three offsets; C19 west door under 3-light Perpendicular window, ringing chamber slit above. Rendered crenellations, octagonal rubble spire. Salt side has slate steps to ringers' door. Nave, south, 2-light Perpendicular, porch with 4-centred door in square label, 2-light Perpendicular, and a 3-light reticulated on east return to transept. Chancel has two 2-light C14 type and 3-light east window with cinquefoil in circle in tracery, angle buttresses, north wall plain. East end of north aisle with 3-light Perpendic- ular, north wall has three 2-light as south wall of nave; 3-light to west end. Plinth, except to north aisle. Interior: limewashed walls, tiled floors, 3-bay nave arcade to four shafts separated by wave mould; an extra bay from chancel, but wide pier, arcade 2 hollows and half-round mould. C19 barrel roof to nave, ceiled, with ribs and bosses to chancel, which is continuous with nave; unceiled barrel north aisle, flat panelled to south transept. In chancel C14 piscina and ogee-headed sedilia; opposite is tomb recess with moulded arch including C14 'wave' head. Broad squint from south transept, which has ogee-headed piscina. Tower arch glazed in. Fittings: C19 pews, good eagle lectern from Ashburton by Thomas Prideaux c.1510; pulpit, medieval, also from Ashburton, chalice foot, panels with ogee arches. Octagonal granite font on 4 square piers, good timber cover. Early C15 de Bikebury brass, and slate slab on transept wall to 'John and Jane Peirce', 1589 and 1612. In the north aisle are remains of the village stocks. Information in the church refers to the 1872 restoration, which cost a total of £1750-8-1 including £90-12-0; it also records the moving of the main approach from the west to the east end. (Pevsner, N, South Devon, 1952).

Listing NGR: SX6678646642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04777/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].