SS 71 SE
Gatehouse to former manor house, the latter now demolished except for a range of
outbuildings (q.v). C15, sacked 3 times during the Civil War, restored 1868 and
later in C19, and some C20 work. Coursed and squared local rubble, freestone
dressings; flat lead-sheeting roof; tall renewed stone stacks.
Plan: square on plan with an archway through, now blocked; restored in Neo-medieval
Exterior: principal entrance front to west, 2 storeys, 2 windows, 2-light stone-
mullioned casements, each light with a cinque-foiled head, one window on the left of
the first floor with a transom. Depressed arch head to a central archway, moulded
surround, now blocked with small narrow C19 doorway, plank door, ornamental strap
hinges, sidelights. All opening with labels, carved stops. Three 2-stage
buttresses; embattled parapet. Right return with a shallow garderobe turret 2-
storeyed, pent stone roof. Elevation to the east with further mullioned windows; 3-
storeyed stair-turret, 4 lancets and a quatrefoil window, on ground floor an
elaborate narrow door opening with a pointed-arch head moulded in 2 orders, fleurons
to spandrels, imposts, label with large floral stops, C19 plank door with ornamental
hinges. Addition of 1868 to the north, formerly a coach-house, now incorporated as
a dwelling, on main entrance front 9- and 16-pane sash windows, front-facing gable
with achievement and bellcote, bell missing.
Interior of the gatehouse completely refitted during the C19 restoration; stone newel
staircase to the stair-turret, and a moulded door surround off this staircase, at
first floor level, appear to be the only early features remaining; good C19 work
including a panelled room with Jacobethan fireplace.
Roof: roof structure not inspected.
Source: Pevsner N., The Buildings of England, North Devon, 1952).
Listing NGR: SS7553213694