Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1327056
Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967
Statutory Address: THE COLLEGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327056 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 22:05:07.
Statutory Address: THE COLLEGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Eden (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: NY 55456 41109
NY 55470 41120 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD
NY 55 41
12/56 The College 27.12.67 G.V. I
House, formerly College of Vicars. Late C15 tower house, extended 1523 for Thomas Lord Dacre (his coat of arms over a now internal door and repositioned panel of arms over fireplace in hall), alterations of c1633-1641 for Sir Timothy Fetherstonhaugh, further additions dated 1696 with initials T.F.(&)B.F. (Timothy & Bridget Fetherstonhaugh) over entrance and additions of 1838-1843 by Timothy Fetherstonhaugh. Dressed and rubble red sandstone walls, (1696 walls partly of stone from Kirkoswald Castle), with ashlar quoins to facade; graduated hipped sandstone slate roof; ashlar ridge chimney stacks to front, with C19 candlestick chimney stacks to rear. 2 storeys, 9 bays to principal facade. Front has recessed central 5 bays, with projecting flanking bays. Double 6-panel doors in moulded architrave, console bracketed cornice, swan-neck pediment with inscription and Fetherstonhaugh coat of arms. Replacement sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves; ground floor windows with moulded cornices and upper floor central bays with pulvinated friezes. Principal feature of rear is C15 tower house, centre right, of originally 4 storeys; canted bay windows 3 storeys high have replacement sash windows with glazing bars. Tower of similar proportions (but thinner walls) to left centre is probably C16, 3½ storeys; ground floor 2-light mullioned window, high round-headed attic opening, all other windows are sashes with glazing bars. Extension to right of 1½ storeys, 3 bays is dated MDCCCXLII; mullioned casement windows with hood moulds to ground floor; gabled dormer windows (below eaves). C19 extension to left of 3 bays, was originally single storey increased to 2 storeys in mid or late C19; sash windows with glazing bars and hood moulds. Interior has mid C17 wooden panelled room, with other mid C17 woodwork. 1696 staircase, large newel staircase in tower. 1696 wood and plaster ceiling in hall with heraldic devices. Originally the Vicarage for Kirkoswald Church and converted to College of Vicars c1523; lands reverted to Crown in 1548 and let to various tenants until purchased by Henry Fetherstonhaugh in 1590; remained in the same family ever since. See, Country Life, 17 November 1928, p700-707; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian Archaeological Society, new series, xiv, p196-234.
Listing NGR: NY5545641109
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 73482
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 14, (), 196-234
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1928), 700-707
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing