CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1327205
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327205.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:19:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Caldbeck
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 32546 39897

Details

NY 33 NW CALDBECK Caldbeck

13/46 Church of St Kentigern 11.4.67 I

Parish church. C12 and C13 with alterations of 1512 and 1727, with 1880 restoration by C.J. Ferguson and 1932 restoration by J.F. Martindale. Large blocks of mixed sandstone; tower of limestone with flush sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 6-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch; 2-bay chancel with south vestry. Tower is medieval up to string course with small round-arched window; upper storey is dated by internal inscription THIS STEEPLE WAS BUILDED IN THE YEAR 1727, with louvred round-arched openings under battlemented parapet. Aisles have 2-light 1932 windows with trefoil heads under hoodmoulds based on one original in the east wall of south aisle. 2- and 3-light clerestory windows are also of 1932. Porch has reused Norman arch with beakhead carving at front and zigzags behind. Chancel has 2 original lancet windows and a lower squint. 5-light east window has weathered inscription to John Whelpdale who rebuilt the chancel in 1512. South wall has 4-light window over early C16 chantry chapel, now vestry. Interior of tower has broad newel staircase. First floor opening into nave has Norman zigzag arch stones, moved there in 1932. Porch has medieval graveslab attached to wall and holy-water stoup recess. Nave has 6-bay arcades of round and hexagonal columns which do not fit exactly the pointed arches. C14 hexagonal font in baptistry. C13 piscina in south wall of aisle. Royal Arms of George IV at west end and painted wall text of 1731. Open timber ceiling of 1932. High openings in east wall of nave are original. Chancel has timber roof of 1880. East window by Wailes 1867. c13 graveslab of Thomas de Bray. Blocked priest's door in south wall. See Reverend F.B. Swift, A History of Caldbeck Church, 1980.

Listing NGR: NY3254239900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72354
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Swift, Reverend F B , A History of Caldbeck Church, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08619/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric C. Apperley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].