BARCLAYS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1327406
Date first listed:
12-May-1988
Statutory Address:
BARCLAYS BANK, 63, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCLAYS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327406.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:15:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARCLAYS BANK, 63, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Columb Major
National Grid Reference:
SW9128263575

Details

ST COLUMB MAJOR

1555/17/230 FORE STREET 12-MAY-88 ST COLUMB MAJOR (East side) 63 Barclays Bank

II History Nothing is known of the early history of this building. It was constructed in the latter part of the C19 and altered and extended during the C20.

Description Late C19 Bank, architect unknown, but clearly influenced by Silvanus Trevail. Brick with granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Two storeyed bank is on a corner site, on Fore Street and Broad Street; the entrance is on the corner, with the banking hall along the right side facing Broad Street. Free application of Jacobethan style. Exterior: Asymmetrical fronts. The entrance has a canted front at ground floor with a shouldered arched doorway at the left side, double doors with strap hinges, a round arch with a shield over. Pilasters and cornice with strapwork in granite above. The central bay has 2-light window with round arch and shield over. The bay to right has ovolo-moulded mullion and transom window, with pilasters and cornice with strapwork. There is a polygonal tower above with windows with transoms, band course and blank arcade with shields, tall spire with finial. The right side has similar 4-light mullion and transom window with sidelights, pilasters and cornice; first floor has smaller 4-light mullion and transom window with pilasters. Shaped gable over with strapwork, pierced parapet and initials WW,with moulded coping; stack with chamfered top to right. C20 2-storey brick addition at the right end. The left side has 2-storey bay with single light at ground floor, corbelled out with 3-light window with chamfered granite mullions. To left a bay with 4-light window with chamfered mullions at ground floor, the cill levels of the lights stepped. At first floor an angled 4-light window, attic in gable above with sash and finial. Buttress to left and the end bay set back with C20 window at ground and first floors, small gable over with bargeboards and finial. Interior: Not inspected.

Summary of Importance Though the precise date of construction, and the identity of the architect, are not known, the building is an important and particularly noteworthy structure within the small town of St Columb Major.

Sources: Kellys' Directories, 1873, 1883, 1889 and 1893

Listing NGR: SW9128263575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71234
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12321/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Butterfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].