CHURCH OF ST MEWAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1327442
Date first listed:
10-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MEWAN, ST MEWAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MEWAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327442.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:28:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MEWAN, ST MEWAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Mewan
National Grid Reference:
SW 99838 51849

Details

ST MEWAN ST MEWAN SW 95 SE 4/92 Church of St Mewan 10.2.67 GV II*

Parish church. C12 origin; largely rebuilt mid - late C15 and restored circa 1851 by G.E. Street. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Some squared granite rubble, the tower in granite ashlar. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges and cross finials. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, possibly of C12 origin and much rebuilt in C15 with the addition of a north chancel aisle. Mid C15 south aisle with south porch. Late C15 west tower, built to two stages only. Circa 1851, the north transept was rebuilt and other alterations made by G.E. Street. Exterior: The nave is concealed except for two bays to north, with two C19 windows, each with 2-centred arch, of 3-lights, with varied tracery and hood moulds. The chancel has 3 light C15 east window with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Slate headstone attached to the east wall with nowy head, hourglass, pierced heart and cherub, to Nicholas Robin, 1733. C19 lancet to north and south, with 2-centred arched head to north and 3-centred arched head to south. North transept The north gable end has C19 3-light window with cusped lights and gable end stack. Single storey boilerhouse attached. To west a 2-centred arched doorway, the door with strap hinges, and 3-light window with cusped lights, all C19. North chancel aisle is of 2 bays. East end has C19 2-light window with cusped lights, 2-centred arch and hood mould. 3-light C19 north widnow with cusped lights and square head. Attached granite headstone to Ann .... of early C19 and marble headstone to Maria Vivian, 1898. The south aisle is of 5 bays with a chamfered plinth along the south side. Three windows to south, of C19, with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds. Doorway at the east end with C19 door with strap hinges, 4-centred arch with recessed spandrels and square hood mould. Attached headstone, to William Andrew, 1818. East end has 3-light C15 Perpendicular window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. West end has similar 4-light C15 Perpendicular window, with Y tracery, 4- centred arch and hood mould.. The south aisle is of 5 bays with a chamfered plinth along the south side. Three windows to south, of C19, with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds. Doorway at the east end with C19 door with strap hinges, 4-centred arch with recessed spandrels and square hood mould. Attached headstone, to William Andrew, 1818. East end has 3-light C15 Perpendicular window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. West end has similar 4-light C15 Perpendicular window, with Y tracery, 4- centred arched and hood mould. The south porch is gabled, without plinth. 2-centred arched, chamfered outer doorway. Interior of the porch has pitched slate floor and C19 wooden benches to sides. C19 unceiled wagon roof. Inner doorway is chamfered with 2-centred arch, C19 door with strap hinges. West tower in 2 stages on moulded plinth with weathered set-back buttresses, embattled parapet with masks on the merlons, pinnacles with cable moulding and masks. Pyramidal roof with half-hipped dormers as bell-openings. West doorway has 4-centred arch with wave mouldings and hood mould, C19 door with strap hinges. C19 2-light west window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Second stage to east has rectangular chamfered window; lancets for stair to north. Interior: All C19 common rafter roofs, except the chancel, which has 3-bay roof of C19 with cusped arched-ranges. Plastered walls except the chancel and north aisle. Tall 4-centred tower arch with Pevsner A-type piers and C19 wooden and glazed screen. 3-bay south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred arches, and a similar arch to the north transept. Chancel has a piscina with cusped arch to south. The east window in the chancel has C12 nook-shafts, probably re-used in the C19 restoration, with masks at the top of the shafts and a mask at the apex of the east wing. C19 panelled reredos. South aisle has an aumbry. Fittings: C19 benches in south aisle and chancel. C19 carved wooden pulpit in the nave. Re-carved C14 stone font in the nave with octagonal bowl and carved sides, set on a C12 shaft with palmette style carving. Fragment of similar C12 carving in nave. Monuments in nave: Marble monument on slate ground with urn, to William Oliver, 1838. The chancel: marble tablet to William Hocker, 1842. In south aisle a painted shield of arms to Sir Francis Layland, 1933. C19 stained glass. Source: Pevnser, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9983851849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71432
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14567/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Oliver E. Harford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].