GODREVY LIGHTHOUSE, INCLUDING KEEPERS COTTAGES, STORE FRONT COURTYARD WALLS AND PERIMETER WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1327597

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: GODREVY LIGHTHOUSE, INCLUDING KEEPERS COTTAGES, STORE FRONT COURTYARD WALLS AND PERIMETER WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GODREVY LIGHTHOUSE, INCLUDING KEEPERS COTTAGES, STORE FRONT COURTYARD WALLS AND PERIMETER WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 23:35:30.

Location

Statutory Address: GODREVY LIGHTHOUSE, INCLUDING KEEPERS COTTAGES, STORE FRONT COURTYARD WALLS AND PERIMETER WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian

National Grid Reference: SW 57659 43589

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWINEAR-GWITHIAN GODREVY ISLAND SW 54 SE 1/20 Godrevy Lighthouse, including - Keepers' cottages, store front courtyard walls and perimeter walls II Lighthouse ; Keepers' cottages, store, front courtyard wall and perimeter walls. 1859. Designed by James Walker. Painted stucco over rubble. Cottages are slurried rubble. One cottage has grouted slate roof. Plan: octagonal plan. Exterior: 5 floors plus lantern. 4 small windows to each floor arranged on alternate faces so that there are alternately 3 windows or 2 windows to each face. Moulded cornice to walk with iron railings outside the lantern. Braced glazing and conical roof with finial with weather vane to lantern. Interior: not inspected. The cottages are small, rectangular on plan and single storeyed. Cottage nearest the lighthouse is roofless and 1 gable end has fallen. The other cottage has coped gable ends. Behind the lighthouse is a large store with mono-pitch roof. The lighthouse stands on level platform with walls at the sides. Another wall encloses an approximately oval shaped 'garden' with 3 entrances approached by steps to serve alternative landing sites (all potentially extremely hazardous). Before the lighthouse was built many vessels were wrecked on this stretch of coast, notably the iron-screwsteamer NILE which was lost on 30th September 1854 with all passengers and crew. Situated on Godrevy Island off Godrevy Point. Godrevy Lighthouse was almost certainly the subject of 'To The Lighthouse' (1927) by Virginia Woolf. Godrevy lighthouse was manned until September 7th 1934, when it became automatically activated by a 'Sun Valve' on top of the lantern roof. Since this time the Keepers' cottages have been neglected. Sources: S (PR) 2 46.

Listing NGR: SW5765943589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70115

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing