This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TRELISSICK MANOR HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE, INCLUDING FRONT AND REAR GARDEN WALL, SUMMER HOUSE, GATE PIERS AND GATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRELISSICK MANOR HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE, INCLUDING FRONT AND REAR GARDEN WALL, SUMMER HOUSE, GATE PIERS AND GATE

List entry Number: 1327629

Location

TRELISSICK MANOR HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE, INCLUDING FRONT AND REAR GARDEN WALL, SUMMER HOUSE, GATE PIERS AND GATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Erth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70299

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST ERTH SW 5435-5535 13/208 (was 12/130) Trelissick Manor House, Farmhouse - and Cottage, including front and rear garden walls, summer house, gate piers and gate GV II*

Manor house (now 2 houses) and adjoining cottage, including front and rear garden walls, summer house, gate piers and gate. Medieval on a pre-Conquest site, remodelled in 1668 for the Paynter family and in the C18, and extended circa early C19. Granite rubble walls with granite dressings. Steep roofs with gable ends except for hipped end, far right: grouted scantle slate over the front range, otherwise concrete tiles. C17 granite ashlar stacks with moulded entablature at: gable ends left and rear (over external chimney breast); over cross wall between house and farmhouse and external lateral stack over left-hand wall of rear range. Plan: L-shaped plan plus 2-room-plan C19 cottage set back on left ; lean-to pantry or dairy left of kitchen and C19 butlers pantry at right-hand side of rear wing. Original plan and later medieval plan largely replaced by C17 plan incorporating parts of the earlier house. Front range is 5 rooms long. Rear wing (at right angles behind the left-hand side) has stair hall, back parlour and large kitchen (at rear). A quadrant-on-plan link turret (smaller plan to first floor) projects from the inner angle between the 2 principal ranges. The left-hand part of the front range is taller (as is the wing behind) and contains a principal parlour with principal chamber over. Both rooms have fine circa late C17 features. There is a cross passage on the right of the parlour and this leads to a passage on the right-hand side of the rear wing. The front wall for most of its length to the right of the passage is enormously thick (about 1.2 metres) and there is a ragged joint in the wall part of the way along this. There is also a joint in the right-hand wall of the wing, and the left-hand wall of the wing (C17 or earlier) continues to become the left-hand side of a granary q.v., added in the C19. There are some C17 carved stone fragments in the courtyard (rear left) including 2 columns, possibly from a former porch or colonnade. A datestone 1668 is reset into the front (north wall) of the cottage. Exterior: 2-storeys. Slightly irregular 6 window south front with rear wall of cottage set back on the left. The 2 bays on the left are taller and the second from left first floor window is blocked. The 2 ground floor windows are circa late C17 2- light chamfered windows with granite transoms and mullions. First floor left-hand window and similar C20 copies in right-hand side of the front are wooden mullioned windows-with transoms. The old window and 3 similar windows in the rear wing are possibly C17. Narrow doorway (right of granite windows) is cut through a medieval wall. Right of the doorway is a circa late C18 16-pane casement window and similar window over in former wider opening. The mullioned windows contain probably C19 casements. Between the right-hand windows is a C20 window probably in former doorway position. Rear wing has some circa late C18 30-pane sashes and later copies in left- hand wall and old ledged doors. The cottage has a symmetrical 3 window north front with original sashes. Right of the doorway is a reset datestone with 1668 in relief. There are reused C17 chamfered lintels over the openings, here and in other parts of the house. Interior: Largely unaltered since the C18 and early C19 and contains some good quality circa late C17 features including: complex inner mouldings to all the transommed windows (including wooden linings to the granite windows); moulded ceiling with central carved oval and bolection-moulded dado panelling in the best parlour; belection-moulded chimney-piece and plaster barrel ceiling with moulded cornices in the chamber over the parlour; 2 C17 doors and ogee-moulded ceiling beams in room right of the parlour. C18 features include dado panelling with moulded chair rails and some doors with H L hinges. The stairs are probably circa early C19: dog leg with closed string, rectangular balusters and chamfered newel. Inside the stair cupboad is some Gothic style wall paper presumably pre-dating the stair. The butlers pantry contains its original fittings including a dresser. Roof structures (not inspected) are presumably circa late C17 or early C18. Rubble walls with slate copings enclose 2 rectangular gardens at the front. The left-hand garden has lower granite coped wall at the front ramped up at the sides and has some low box planting at the sides (possibly a continuation of a tradition). The right-hand garden was probably an orchard and has a 2-storey summer house (or apple loft) in the front left-hand corner with granite steps leading up to the upper floor from the left-hand garden. There are rubble walls enclosing 2 rectangular courtyards at the rear. Left-hand courtyard has rear gateway with granite monolithic piers and circa early C19 iron gate. James Paynter of Trelissick was the man who proclaimed James II as king. Trelissick was later the property of the Hearle family and in the C19 was rented by William Harvey (1805-1893) (youngest son of John Harvey and nephew of Henry Harvey, 1775- 1850) from Fancis Hearle Rodd. After the death of Henry Harvey, William took an active interest in the running of the family firm, Harvey and Co. This house has some unusual and interesting features: the transomed mullioned windows are unique in this part of Cornwall; the quadrant-on-plan projections in the angle between the main ranges of the house may be communicating passages on the ground and first floor and may never have contained stairs from one floor to the other . Sources: The Harveys of Hayle by Edmund Vale; The Cornishman's House by V M and F J Chesher;

Listing NGR: SW5558435946

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Chesher, V M, F J , , The Cornishmans House, (1968)
Vale, E, The Harveys of Hayle, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SW5558435946

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1327629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 05:02:08.

End of official listing