- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- MARSLAND MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328542.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 17:43:11.
- Statutory Address:
- MARSLAND MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SS 21 NW MORWENSTOW
1/74 Marsland Manor(formerly listed as 26.9.51 Marsland)
Farmhouse, formerly manor house. C16 or earlier origins. Remodelling circa 1656- 1662 (datestones), early C19 alterations. Roughly squared stone rubble, some brought to course, with polyphant dressings. Some cob to rear, slate roofs, scantle to rear, renewed to front with roll tile ridges. Stone chimneys, some of laced stonework and some with moulded polyphant caps. Some evidence for medieval open hall house in present south range, with massive stack probably inserted C16. Remodelling of 1656-1662 formed double courtyard plan with east-facing main range - earlier south range incorporated as kitchen wing. The C17 house has entrance through C17 gatehouse (q.v.) to a forecourt. East-facing hall range 2-room and through passage plan with hall heated by front lateral stack, unheated service room at lower end, through passage leading to inner courtyard at rear of hall. Earlier south range consists of 2 heated rooms probably used as kitchen and heated service room to east range, C17 north range consists of heated parlour with lateral stack. West range, forming fourth side of inner courtyard consists of unheated service rooms, now in use as store rooms, formerly with accommodation over. Rear entry to inner courtyard through chamfered square-headed stone doorway in west range. The north and south ranges have gabled ends. 2 storeys. 3 + 1 asymmetrical east front has projecting lateral hall stack on front. C18 2-panel front door under sloping slate roof carried on solid wall and timber bracket with stone seat to left. Ground floor window left 2-light C20 casement under timber lintel, 4 panes per light. Ground floor window lighting hall 4-light C17 chamfered polyphant mullioned window with hoodmould and 8 leaded panes per light. C19 entrance at right on front. First floor window left 3-light C20 casement under timber lintel, 3 panes per light. Date of 1656 and initials, probably W.A.for William Atkins, in gable above window. Full dormer above front door has C17 3-light polyphant mullioned window with 6 leaded panes per light, casement in central light. Similar full dormer with sill lowered above hall window has C20 3-light casement, 3 panes per light under chamfered timber lintel. First floor window right 3-light C17 polyphant mullioned window with leaded panes under hoodmould, similar window above lights garret room. Interior: Hall has 2 unmoulded cross beams and partially blocked fireplace said to conceal timber fireplace beam and C17 jambs. Blocked stone mullioned window to rear wall of hall. C19 dado moulding and 6-panel doors. Through passage has C17 moulded plaster cornice. C17 stone stair to rear of unheated service room. Rooms in south range to rear of stair, probably former hall and kitchen of earlier build, heated from single massive stack with massive stone shaft and tapered cap. Both fireplaces partially blocked, fireplace to rear room has massive roughly-chamfered stopped fireplace beam approximately 3 metres long. Cross beams to room massive and unmoulded. Parlour in north range has partially blocked fireplace to lateral stack and 2 unmoulded cross beams. Late C19/early C20 French windows lead from parlour to inner courtyard. West range has first floor walls plastered and lath and plaster partition walls. Rooms to first floor of east range have blocked fireplaces, one with date of 1662 above former lintel. Roof timbers above hall probably renewed C19. Roof above parlour replaced C20 after a fire. Trusses above south range repaired with some replacement of principals. Principals have 2 tiers of threaded purlins and formerly had collars lap dovetailed into principals; 1 truss, partly concealed by stack, appears to have smoke-blackened collar and one smoke-blackened principal. Trusses above west range pegged. Truss to plastered room above storeroom to rear of north range has 2 tiers of threaded purlins and collar lap dovetailed into 1 principal. C17 features include newel stone stair with oak treads leading to garret room at right end of east range and polyphant mullioned windows to north side of north range, west side of west range, north side of south range. Inner courtyard paved with slate, replacing pitched stone. Forms a group with gatehouse and barn and walls (q.v.), Cartshed and barn (q.v.) Stables (q.v.) and mounting block (q.v.). Marsland Manor is an unusually complete survival of a double courtyard house. it was in the possession of the Atkin family in 1666. Charles Henderson described it as "one of the most interesting and picturesque old houses in Cornwall". Sabine Baring Gould's novel, The Gaverocks, is said to be set at Marsland Manor. Charles Henderson's 'Materials for a Parochial History of East Cornwall', MS in The Royal Institution of Cornwall. F C Hamlyn, A History of Morwenstowe After the Restoration (1930), pp.180-181.
Listing NGR: SS2168716760
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Baring Gould, S, The Gaverocks
Hamlyn, F C, A History of Morwenstowe after the Restoration, (1930), 180-181
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing