CHURCH OF SAINT MAUGAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1328596
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAUGAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MAUGAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328596.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:45:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAUGAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mawgan-in-Meneage
National Grid Reference:
SW 70955 25094

Details

SW 72 NW MAWGAN-IN-MENEAGE MAWGAN

1/148 Church of Saint Maugan 10.7.57 GV I

Parish church. C13 font, C13 south wall, and parts of porch, and transept, remodelled C15-C16, C15 arcade, C15 north aisle and waggon roofs, C15 west tower with possibly late C14 doorway. Fairly restrained restoration by Sedding in 1894. Shale rubble walls with mostly granite dressings, granite ashlar west tower and Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends and cavetto moulded wallplate cornices under the eaves. Plan: Probably cruciform in the C13-C14 with south porch. West tower north aisle and north transept added in the C15 and possibly the south transept widened; some alterations to the south wall in the C16 and in the C19 the restoration probably included straightening up the roof, wall plates and relaying or renewing gable copings. Embattled C15 west tower of 3 stages with crocketted pinnacle over each corner, moulded plinth, with trailing carving to moulding of pointed elvan doorway, circa late C14-early C15; 3-light C15 Perpendicular window over. Carved label stops and keystones to relieving arches circa C13 incorporated, including carved figure of Saint Maugan over window and the Ferrers arms on right impost. Strings dividing stages; second stage blind; upper stage with 3 light C15 Perpendicular windows. Relieving arches and hoodmoulds over tower openings. North aisle: tall 4-light C15 Perpendicular window to west gable, C15 5-light Perpendicular window with fine carved enrichment to cavetto moulded jambs and arch to east gable. North wall has 2 windows to left of north transept and 4 windows to right. The windows are C15 Perpendicular, each with 3 trefoil-headed lights under a 4-centred outer arch. Circular rood stair projection in angle left of transept. North transept has 13-light Y-tracery north window and circa C16 basket arch doorway in right hand angle with aisle. Chancel east gable has late Decorated style 3-light window with reticulated tracery, probably late C19, set within original probably C13 walling with relieving arch of narrower original window over. South wall sustantially probably C13 with a 3-light tracered window to the left inserted probably in the C15,and a flat headed window with hood mould and central mullion over a circa C16 basket arched doorway to chancel wall right of south transept. Left and right of the C16 doorway are 2 original lancets with later trefoil heads. At the far right is a blocked window opening splayed wall for squint across angle between transept and chancel. South transept partly rebuilt by Sedding in 1894 with buttresses added to corners at south. Window in south gable, probably also 1894, is in C14 style similar to chancel east window. 2-light C15 traceried window to east wall of south transept. Porch has chamfered doorway of uncertain date with pointed arch of voussoirs. Possibly C13 stoup in east wall of porch. C15 oak roof. C15 moulded with steep 4- centered arch inner doorway. Interior: C15 waggon roofs over nave/chancel, transepts and a particularly fine C15 roof with carved ribs, purlins and bosses over the north aisle; C15 7 bay standard A (Pevsner) granite arcade with moulded capitals and steep 4-centred arches between nave/chancel and north aisle; C15 squint between south transept and chancel with a granite corbel over octagonal pier as impost for C19 freestone transept arches; rood stair in north aisle wall tower arch springing from carved corbels and old stone flagged floor, walls stripped of plaster probably by Sedding. Fittings: C13 octagonal goblet shaped elvan font with 2 of the original 4 clasping turned and shaped shafts; medieval alter slab with 5 incised crosses under east window of north transept; C19 octagonal granite pulpit and pitch pine pews. Monuments: C14 fine carved freestone effigies of Sir Roger de Carminow died 1308 and his widow, Lady Johanna, in arched niche to south wall of south transept, removed from the C13 Carminow chapel during the reign of James I, (church guide) and in the east wall of the north aisle mausoleum to Sir Richard Vivian of Trelowarren, who died in 1655.On the top step riser under the tower arch is inscribed PAV D. 1737. 11G. ID. CW. There is a curious chamber built into the bank of the churchyard by the north aisle doorway. This church has, unusually in Cornwall, some C13 features, but the greater proportion of the building is C15. Remarkably, with most of the original C15 roof structures intact, and most of the C15 windows. The squint is particularly interesting, incorporating as it does the jamb reveal of an original C13 window. The tower is typical of C15 Cornish west towers and is a very complete example.

Listing NGR: SW7095525096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
65309
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of Saint Maugan Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04425/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret Froggatt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].