Former Cubert Methodist Chapel

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1328656
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Jan-2017
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Chapel Terrace, Holywell Road, Cubert, Cornwall, TR8 5EY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former Cubert Methodist Chapel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328656.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:37:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Chapel Terrace, Holywell Road, Cubert, Cornwall, TR8 5EY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cubert
National Grid Reference:
SW7857657900

Summary

A former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, opened in 1848 and closed in 2011. The attached former Sunday school added in 1894 and extended in the 1930s, is not included in the listing. 

Reasons for Designation

The former Cubert Methodist Chapel, Chapel Terrace, Holywell Road, Cubert is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: the chapel displays architectural detailing which is characteristic of a non-conformist chapel, including rounded window openings and date stone, clearly illustrating its original ecclesiastical use; * Historic interest: a good example of a mid-C19 chapel which helps to contribute to our understanding of the development of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Cornwall.

History

Due to an increase in congregation size, the Cubert Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Holywell Road was built in 1848 to replace a smaller C18 preaching house located on the corner of Holywell Road and Wesley Street. It was built slightly set back from the main street. A lean-to organ loft was subsequently added to the NE corner of the church, and a porch was added to the front of the building in the latter half of the C19. Some of the glazing is also a later replacement. In 1894 a Sunday school (not included in the listing), was added to the E side of the chapel, with an internal door leading from the chapel to the school. In the 1930s the school was extended to the S, bringing it level with the street. By the early C21 the congregation had reduced in size and the decision was taken to leave the chapel and convert the attached Sunday school into a place of worship. In 2010 permission was granted to remove the organ and the organ loft and to convert the Sunday school (it opened as the new Cubert Methodist Chapel in 2012). Some of the seating in the former church was removed in 2011 and the roof was re-slated in 2014. Planning permission has been granted to convert the former chapel to domestic use, and further internal alterations have taken place (2016).

Details

A former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, opened in 1848 and closed in 2011. The attached former Sunday school added in 1894 and extended in the 1930s, is not included in the listing. 

MATERIALS: slatestone rubble walls with granite dressings and a slate roof with ridge tiles. The gable ends have raised coped verges.

PLAN:  a rectangular building on a N-S axis with a single auditorium plan.

EXTERIOR: the former chapel is a three-bay, single-storey building with a gable roof. At the centre of the front elevation is a gabled wooden porch on granite piers, topped by a slate roof with crested ridge tiles (in 2016 the porch roof was temporarily removed). The main entrance is a C20 double door. Above is a blind round granite arch. Above the entrance is a date stone with an inscription in raised upper case lettering reading ‘WESLEYAN CHAPEL AD 1848’ and in the apex of the gable is a recessed circular stone. The entrance is flanked on either side by a two-light C19 margin-glazed casement with top lights and a rounded granite arch with keystone. At the rear there are two blocked openings with granite lintels and keystones. The W elevation has three C19 two-light margin-glazed casements with top lights and flat granite arches with keystones openings, and the E elevation has two. 

INTERIOR: the chapel retains a rostrum at the N end and a timber gallery at the S end. The gallery is supported by cast-iron columns; it has been suggested these columns are replacements and the base of a timber column stands adjacent to the W end column. Above the auditorium is a sealed timber-plank ceiling. The roof structure is a king-post frame.

Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the adjacent former Sunday school is not of special architectural or historic interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63670
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beacham, P, Lake, J, A survey of nonconformist chapels in Cornwall
Websites
137946 CUBERT - Post Medieval nonconformist chapel, accessed 11 November 2016 from http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MCO32162&resourceID=1020
Cubert Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Pastscape entry, accessed 11 November 2016 from http://pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484789

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11961/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael McCloy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].