Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Lane


Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1328833.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:22:27.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Erewash (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 37108 39799


SK 33 NE 4/4

PARISH OF BREADSALL CHURCH LANE (east side) Church of All Saints


GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C14, restoration after a fire 1915 by W.D Caröe. Coursed, squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Plain tile roofs. West steeple, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry.

C13 tower of four stages divided by chamfered string courses. Chamfered plinth. Clasping buttresses rising to crenellated parapet on corbels. West doorway of two chamfered orders and with colonnettes. Restored in C19. Plank door with elaborate wrought-iron work. Blocked triangular-headed lancet above. Above again is a paired two-light window within a single chamfered arch. Hoodmould with dogtooth. Large paired lancet bell-openings above two plainly chamfered orders. The north side has a double-chamfered lancet, a single chamfered lancet above and bell-openings as to the west. To the south is a paired two-light window within a single chamfered arch, as to the west and paired lancet bell-openings as to the west. Similar bell-openings to the east, and below, the roof line of the C13 nave. Early C14 octagonal stone spire with two tiers of tiny lucarnes. On the south side the nave and chance are in one. Parapet with moulded string course and coping. Gabled south porch with a lancet to east and paired lancets to west. Plain round arched doorway with studded plank door. To the left is a C19 round-arched window. To the right are three large square-headed C14 windows with reticulated tracery set in double chamfered surrounds. Returned hoodmoulds. Priest's doorway with hollow and roll mouldings, and hoodmould. Two-light Perpendicular style window with hoodmould on pendant stops. Angle buttresses at the east end. Large five-light Perpendicular east window, renewed by Caröe in 1915. Hoodmould with pendant stops.

Shallowly gabled C20 north vestry with domestic type mullioned windows. The north side of the chancel has one plain lancet. Lean-to north aisle. Parapet. Three-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery. The north elevation of the aisle has angle buttresses to the east, diagonal to the west and two intermediate buttresses. Three-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. To the right a larger three-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. North doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould. One small two-light clerestory window at the west end, square headed with cusping. Three-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery. Hoodmould with unusual swag-like stops. C12 south doorway with two orders of colonnettes, a zigzag arch, and a simply decorated label. Plank door with re-used elaborate wrought ironwork.

INTERIOR: Broad C13 tower arch of three chamfered orders with moulded imposts. C13 three-bay north arcade with circular piers, octagonal capitals with nailhead decoration, keeled responds and double chamfered arches. Squint between north aisle chapel and chancel, and above it is remains of the rood stair. The north aisle has a blocked arched recess with roll moulding. Late C14 wooden sculpture, a pieta probably of German origin. In the chancel, triple sedilia with cusped ogee arches and shields in the spandrels above. Piscina with a tall pointed arch. The roofs are of a high quality Perpendicular style, dating from the 1915 restoration. Castellated and moulded tie beams on angel corbels, tracery above.

Timber fittings of a high quality, ie: rood screen with coving and gallery, pulpit choir stalls, communion rail and organ case. All date from after 1915. C19 octagonal font.

Listing NGR: SK3711239799


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02626/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].