NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329653
Date first listed:
25-Jul-1952
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, THE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329653.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 15:15:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, THE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Prestbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 90005 76954

Details

SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE (West Side)

5/206 & 6/206 National Westminster Bank (formerly listed as Priest's House)

25/7/1952

GV II*

Formerly vicarage (known as Priest's House) later cottages and now a bank. C16 origins. Much earlier C17 work complete and sympathetic restoration 1968-70. Timber framed on ashlar sandstone plinth. Kerridge stone-slate roof and stone ridge. 2½ storey, near symmetrical 5-bay front. 2nd and 4th bays are square projections rising 2½ storeys with cross gabled roofs to dormers. Lower storey has 2-light casements with applied lozenge shaped glazing. Above are 2-light windows with trefoil shaped heads, some with original lattice leaded glazing. Fronts and sides of dormers have cross motifs in small panels and single lights. Between these bays at 1st floor is a balcony with flat shaped balusters and wainscotting behind. Other bays use similar elements. Tiny circular light on the centre of the ridge. Right gable has a tiebeam and collar truss and considerable buff sandstone extensions to the rear. Interior: Much altered to bank's needs but 2 cast iron firebacks found in the restoration displayed in the banking hall. One is dated 1635 and with the arms of Charles I, and the other is late C17/C18, Dutch in origin. This building, replaced as vicarage by the Manor House (q.v.) in 1708, has a distinctive and lopsided appearance and forms the focal point of the village street.

Listing NGR: SJ9000576954

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58372
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15521/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].