TATTON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1329674
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
TATTON OLD HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TATTON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329674.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 05:32:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
TATTON OLD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tatton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 75629 81282

Details

SJ 78 SE TATTON C.P. TATTON PARK

4/110 Tatton Old Hall (formerly listed as Old 5.3.59 Hall)

GV II*

House. Late C15-Early C16 with C17, C18, C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Red English garden wall bond brick. Stone slate roof. Originally all timber framed, but the framing of the external walls was replaced in the late C17 or early C18. L shaped, 2 storeys. South east front: Stone plinth. Slight projection to far left hand side with band of 3 bricks height. Gabled wing to far right (probably an C18 extension of a less prominant C16 projection). Abutting chimneystack to right of centre of one flue and another with 2 diamond-shaped flues. 5 windows to ground floor and 3 to first floor, all C19 replacements. All the upper floor windows and 2 ground floor windows are ovolo-moulded mullion windows of 2 lights. C19 gabled porch to left of centre. Break in plinth indicating probable former doorway to left of 2-flue chimneystack. North eastern elevation. Stone plinth; gable; string courses above ground and first floor windows, raised at the corners; gable brickwork slightly recessed above the string course. One C19 ovolo moulded 2-light mullion window to each floor. Circular light in gable. End rafters and ends of purlins exposed. C18 wing to left with one 2-light ovolo moulded mullion window to each floor and doorway to ground floor. Exterior of hall block: all windows C19 replacements of ovolo moulded mullioned sort in 2 storeys reflecting C19 division of hall. C19 porch to south west. The brickwork to all the external walls is unevenly bonded in places due to the piecemeal replacement of timber framing with brick. Interior: Hall: single aisleless rectangular space with gallery at south-eastern end. The inserted floors have been removed. Roof of c1480-1520: wall plate with facing carved in fern leaf and artichoke pattern with battlemented moulding above. 2 principal trusses and spere truss have cambered ties, decorated on the side facing the north-western (dais) end with the fern leaf and artichoke and battlements pattern. Row of 11 moulded struts above connecting with a cambered collar beam carved with a row of quatrefoils (the most north-westerly principal truss having rosettes at the centre of each quatrefoil). Triangular plate carved with a central quatrefoil and 2 daggers connects this to the ridge. Simple trusses alternating with the principal fafters connected by unmoulded collar beams. These principal rafters are plainly chamfered but those on the principal trusses and each of the 3 pairs of purlins are hollow and step chamfered. Quatrefoil wind bracing throughout save for 3 bays on south west side and one on the north east side in either of which places a chimney stack may once have stood. Buttresses and gallery are C20. Parlour in south eastern wing has richly chamfered ceiling beams. Upper rooms have small framed walls with wattle and daub infill. King and queen post trusses to roof. Basket arched early C17 hearth to one first floor room. Tatton Park belonged to the Egerton family from 1598 until 1958 when it was given to the National Trust who now administer it in conjunction with Cheshire County Council.

Bibliography

N J Higham - "Tatton Old Hall. A Preliminary Report on Excavations conducted at Easter 1979", Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.6, 1978/79, Pages 72-74.

L McKenna - "An Approach to Dating by Structural Elements", Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.6, 1978/79, Pages 53-57.

L McKenna - "From Post Hole to Timber Framed Building", Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.7, 1980/81, Pages 22-27.

S R Williams - "The Archaeologist's View", Interpreting Tatton Park, Countryside Commission/Centre for Environmental Interpretation, 1983, Pages 61-64.

S R Williams - "The Old Hall and Deserted Village at Tatton Park near Knutsford", Cheshire Archaeological Bulletin, No.4, 1976, Pages 7-10.

S R Williams - "Tatton Old Hall : The Rediscovery of a house". Cheshire History, Jan-Feb 1984.

Listing NGR: SJ7562981282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58485
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williams, S R , Interpreting Tatton Park, (1983), 61-64
'Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin' in Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin, (1981), 22-27
'Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin' in Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin, (1979), 72-74
'Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin' in Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin, (1979)
'Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin' in Cheshire Archaeological Society Bulletin, (1976), 7-10
Williams, S R, 'Cheshire History' in Tatton Old Hall The Rediscovery of a House, (1984)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14325/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].