CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1329880
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH ROAD SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 01:18:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH ROAD SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Northwich
National Grid Reference:
SJ 66436 73805

Details

SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P CHURCH ROAD SOUTH (South-West Side)

5/32 Church of St. Helen (Witton Church)

24.3.50.

GV I

Church, C14 origin, enlarged late C15/early C16, restored C19. Red sandstone with flattish roofs concealed by parapets. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with canted apse, south chapel, north vestry and sacristy of 2 storeys. Crenellated 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, west door, basket-arched panel-traceried 4-light west window, 2-light bellringers' windows on north and south faces, empty niche on west face, clock with faces to all sides, paired panel-traceried 2-light bell openings, band carved with foliage, faces and beasts at belfry floor and, simpler, above west window and below bellringers' windows; gargoyles; carved to each side of south bellringers' window in restored raised letters THOMAS:HUNTER. 4, 5 and 6-light panel-traceried windows to aisles and clerestorey. Crenellated south porch with replaced pair of oak doors in basket-arched opening, square-headed window in each side and diagonal buttresses. 5-light east window to south chapel in canted niche, the reveals carved with quatrefoils and with 5 panels of blank tracery below. 5-light apse windows transitional between Curvilinear and Perpendicular. C19 organ-chamber, vestry and sacristy north of chancel. Interior: Basket tower arch with no capitals. Aisle arcades have piers with coved corners and responds to all faces, with bell capitals. Pier of former, lower, chancel arch with vertical joint in stonework above, at junction of nave with south chapel and (north) with organ chamber. Fine continuous camber-beam-and-panel oak roof to nave and chancel, with diagonal cross-braces; large carved bosses at junctions of main beams and smaller ones at junctions of secondary beams. Framed royal arms on south wall of tower; clock 1888 given by vicar as memorial to his father Hibbert Binney DD Bishop of Nova Scotia 1851-1887; 8 bells recast and clock chimes improved 1909 (Canon Binney's jubilee as vicar). Late C19 glass, biblical scenes vigorously expressed. Furnishings late C19 or later.

With St Mary's Nantwich and St Michael's, Middlewich, one of the 3 major medieval salt town churches in Cheshire.

Listing NGR: SJ6643573806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57626
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13127/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].