The George and Dragon

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1329885
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
The George and Dragon, High Street, Great Budworth, CW9 6HF

Map

Ordnance survey map of The George and Dragon
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1329885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:28:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
The George and Dragon, High Street, Great Budworth, CW9 6HF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Budworth
National Grid Reference:
SJ 66430 77537

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/05/2018

SJ 67 NE 6/79

GREAT BUDWORTH C.P. HIGH STREET (North side) The George and Dragon

(Formerly listed as George and Dragon Inn)

GV II Inn, circa 1880, by John Douglas for Rowland Egerton Warburton. Brick; roughcast upper storey; hipped clay-tile roofs.

Two storeys; symmetrical with one bay to each side of pyramid-roofed two-storey projecting porch with oak door on ornate hinges in basket-arched opening; moulded brick first floor band; above the inner door a stone is inscribed with Warburton's verse: "As Saint George in armed affray/Doth the fiery dragon slay/So may'st thou with might no less/Slay the dragon drunkeness"; brick-mullioned four-light leaded window; cavetto plaster eaves.

Each wing has a brick-mullioned window of four lights to lower storey and of three lights to upper storey; steep roof with lucarne in each wing; lateral chimney left linked by small roof to hip. Sides and rear wing have no features of special interest.

Very rich cut-out pictorial sign on ornate, long wrought iron bracket from right corner of inn, made in 1880s by the estate blacksmith. Oak post-and-rail fence to each side of porch inscribed: LIFE IS BUT SEEDTIME AND HARVEST : GOD SPEED THE PLOUGH + WHEN DRINK YOUR ALES (with carved Green Man's head) : REST ALL YE NIGH ALEYARD & KIRKYARD : DO NOUGHT THEREIN BESET WITH SINS : LABOUR MIGHTILY : PROSPER HE WHO BUILDETH ON ROCK : NOUGHT GREAT IS WON WITHOUT PRICE : REMEMBER THEM : BEWARE YE BEELZEBUB : GUARD WELL THY FREEDOM : YEA MAN SHALL REACH OUT AND EVEN SOW SEED UPON STAYS.

Interior: Some features by Douglas survive; stone in bar inscribed NIL NIMIUM CUPITO Mee : R+I : 1722. (Desire nothing in excess); a little C17 structure may be incorporated in the present building. "This inn is not all new, but has been refaced .... with very good result. It forms a most pleasing point of interest at the corner of the roadway with its Nuremburg sign-piece, steep-tiled roof .... moulded brickwork window jambs and leaded lights" T Raffles Davison, The British Architect DECEMBER 12 1884.

Listing NGR: SJ6642677542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57544
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The British Architect' in The British Architect: 12 December, (1884)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14341/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].