CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1330242
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330242.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:55:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thornton-le-Moors
National Grid Reference:
SJ 44157 74550

Details

SJ 47SW THORNTON-LE-MOORS C.P. THE VILLAGE

4/48 Church of St Mary 1.6.67 I

Church. C14th onwards, probably on site of pre-Conquest church. Red sandstone. Slate roofs. Nave, with tower in south west corner, south porch, north east chancel, south east Elton chapel. C14th embattled tower, partly rebuilt, has stepped buttresses, 3 chamfered stone bands, 2-light bell openings with 4 centred stopped hood moulds. C14th traceried 2-light window on south wall. C14th buttressed nave with chamfered plinth has 3 similar windows on south wall. 2 north wall windows are similar. One and west window are C16th, 3-light in deep recesses. C17th south porch has round arched moulded entrance, in front of C14th doorway containing door of 6 raised and fielded panels, and inscribed in the panelled head above. TD, IC [CHURCH] W[ARDEN] 1725. 3 bay chancel has 2-light C16th windows, 5-light east window has broad rounded head, and moulded hood. 2 mouchettes above lights. Perpendicular. Elton chapel in 3 bays alongside chancel has 3-light windows one replaced. Small door has 4 centred arched head. Interior. Nave is divided by central arcade of 5 pointed arches on octagonal piers. 3 bay chancel above arcade, has octagonal bases, piers and capitals. C16th chancel roof. 1695 3-sided alter rail has twisted and turned balusters, moulded rail. Altar table, with twisted and turned legs inscribed Tho Bush, Joh Johns Curch War 1694. Raised and fielded panelling with moulded cornice, round chancel walls. C17th reading desk, choir stalls, some with raised and fielded panelling and turned finials dated 16 ICE 94. Bunbury family memorial tablets, probably by Randle Holmes dating 1634-1686, painted on wood. Rev. Rowland Chambre, Rector, 1760-1796, marble tablet, in vestry/chapel. Fluted marble font, C17th. Fragments C10th cross shaft with figure and animal carvings from trench round church. C17th, probably, sandstone water stoop, on carved pedestel.

Pevsner and Hubbard. Richards R Old Cheshire Churches Morten (1973)

Listing NGR: SJ4415774550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55431
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11037/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].