This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330505



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abbots Ripton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54639

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 27 NW ABBOTS RIPTON HIGH STREET (West Side) 9/5 Church of St Andrew



Parish church. C13 nave and south arcade, C15 chancel and north arcade and late C15 west tower. Restored C19 and c.1930 by S Inskip Ladds. Limestone rubble, fieldstone, and random rubble to nave, aisles and chancel, with limestone dressings. Plain tiled and leaded roofs. Plan of west tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel and north chapel. West tower. Embattled with square finial to each corner, and moulded main cornice. Four stages with a sill carried round the four stage diagonal buttressing. West doorway of two continuous orders in two centred arch. Outer order is wave moulded and the inner order is hollow chamfered. West window, restored, of three lights in two centred ogee moulded arch with label. Bell stage has two lights divided by a mullion and transom in a two centred arch with label. Nave has a C15 clerestory. Coursed limestone. Each side with three windows of two trefoil lights in pointed arched head with hollow moulding. The south aisle is of rubblestone with limestone dressings. Two C15 windows, restored, of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two centred arch with label and grotesque stops to one of the labels. Two stage buttressing. South porch is C13 in origin, but probably rebuilt. Outer arch, C13, of two chamfered orders in a two centred arch, the outer on engaged columns with splayed capital (one restored), and moulded bases. Inner arch. Two centred of single chamfered order with label. Chancel, C15. Fieldstone, parapetted roof. Two windows in south wall of three cinquefoil lights in pointed arch. East wall restored as is the east window of four cinquefoil lights with perpendicular tracery. North chapel, C15, to chancel has an east window of three cinquefoil lights in depressed arch with vertical tracery. Moulded eaves cornice of stone. Interior: C15 west tower arch. Two centred and of two orders. The outer is continuous and hollow moulded. The inner has a hollow chamfer on shafts with moulded capital and base. The south arcade is of three bays. The two centred arches are restorations of C19-C20 (although it is suggested that the restoration is CI5), but two of the columns with moulded capitals and bases are C13. C15 north arcade of three bays. Two centred arches of two wave moulded orders, the inner springing from engaged shafts with moulded capitals. Nave roof restored 1868 (see brass plaque north of chancel arch). South wall of south aisle has two centred unmoulded arches forming blind arcading on engaged piers with stop chamfered corners and square capitals. Some of the original stone seats for the poor and invalid remain in the south wall. There are two C15 windows, probably insertions which have been restored in C19, in two of the bays. Chancel arch is also restored. Chancel has C15 roof of two bays. Pierced spandrel bracing to tie beams on jack posts, the faces carved with male and female figures. The intermediate principal rafters have male and female figures carved to the soffit. North chapel has late C15 depressed II four centred arch leading to the chancel. Two waved moulded orders on both faces. The inner is carried on an engaged column with high, moulded base. There is a moulded label carried on a demi-shaft. RCHM: Hunts mon (1) Pevsner~ildings of England VCH: Hunts Vol II Norris Museum, St Ives: S Inskip Ladds Records

Listing NGR: TL2306178017

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)

National Grid Reference: TL 23061 78017


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 03:47:13.

End of official listing