CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1330821
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:45:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Shepreth
National Grid Reference:
TL 39282 47479

Details

SHEPRETH CHURCH ROAD TL 3947 (South Side) 21/307 Church of All Saints 22.11.67 II*

Parish Church. C12 chancel arch, c.1200 nave, C13 South aisle and C14-C15 West Tower. Restored extensively in 1870, including north and south walls ano fenestration of nave. West Tower C14-C15. Dressed clunch with some Barnack limestone and flint flushwork in the plinth and buttresses. Spire removed and tower much remodelled and repaired in 1774. Pyramidal roof. West window of Ketton limestone, restored in C14-C15 style with vertical tracery. Nave of c.1200 origin with repairs of 1370. North wall of gault brick with slate roof. C13 style fenestration but a c.1200 north doorway reinstated. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders, the outer order is on columns with one capital carved with volutes and the other with foliate ornament. The south aisle was narrowed by three feet in 1774. The chancel was repaired in 1777. The walls are now rendered and the roof is C19. Inserted in the north wall of the tower is a late C17 or early C18 headstone. Inside: C14-C15 tower arch. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner on half octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. South arcade of c.1200. Four bays and part of a fifth bay presumably removed when the tower was built. Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders on piers of quatrefoil section and moulded capitals. Two of the- bases are unmoulded suggesting another alteration to the church. The chancel arch, C12, is round headed and on the west side has a roll moulding on angle shafts with capitals, one carved with volutes and an abacus with chamfered lower edge. Inserted south of the chancel arch is a C13 trefoil arch of clunch roll moulded, probably used a squint opening from a south chapel to the chancel. Another C13 opening, blind, on North side has been partly removed by the C19 north wall of the nave. North wall of chancel has monument to John Layer (c.1586 - 1640) the antiquarian. The pulpit is early C17 of oak on modern base and there are some C15-C16 enriched poppy head finials, reset on modern bench ends. The font, C13 has an octagonal bowl with volutes at the corner on central stem and four supports at the corners.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.455 V.C.H.: Cambs. Vol. 5 p.261 R.L.H.M.: Record Card (1949)

Listing NGR: TL3928247479

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52359
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 455
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 261

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16134/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].