This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330874



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Guilden Morden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/129 Odsey House


Small country house. Circa 1723 for the Second Duke of Devonshire. Palladian house with interior alterations similar to designs by William Kent possibly for the Third Duke of Devonshire. Later alterations c.1795 and late C19. Red brick with lighter red brick and gauged brick dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Three storeys and semi basement. Double pile plan with symmetrical main facades of four bays, with central two bays to rear elevation slightly advanced and pedimented. Side entrance to south-west, and rear entrance at ground level with covered passage to rear kitchen (listed separately). Parapets with plain stone copings; raised brick band with soffit moulding, below third storey windows and continuous across large side stacks; deep brick plinth with segmental arched basement windows each with original six-paned hung sashes. South-east facade: Four bays with fenestration replaced c.1795 and ground storey windows lowered; graded windows of eighteen, twelve and nine-paned hung sashes recessed in painted plastered reveals and with flat gauged brick arches. South-west entrance to north of stack approached by stone steps with plain wrought iron railings; doorcase with fluted wooden pilasters and columns supporting a Doric entablature and pediment; eight-raised and fielded panelled door. North west facade: Original fenestration, brick pediment broken by central round arched hung sash window, tripartite hung sash stair window with round headed central light, and two ground floor bulls eye windows flanking passage; single recessed bays on either side with hung sash windows. Interiors: The original ground floor plan is retained with connected drawing room and dining room to the south-east and with a rear staircase hall between the entrance lobby arid small north-east room. Dining room with ovolo moulded and fielded panelling of two heights with moulded dado and cornice, (the chimney piece is introduced), similar panelling to drawing room but with an enriched modillion and dentil cornice part of an Ionic pilastered chimney composition with a flanking round headed blind cupboard and matching cupboard to right hand with Corinthian pilasters supporting a round headed arch and painted shell interior. The details of the pilasters and cornices are similar to known work by William Kent. Plain ovolo panelling to staircase hall with staircase rising in straight flights to the attic floor; the lower flights, originally closed string, have been modified and rebuilt with alternately turned and twisted balusters to each tread, and with richly carved spandrels. First floor rooms slightly rearranged with original plan retained in north-east room with panelled 'porched' entrance and small closet. The rooms are entered from a lobby with a wide segmental arch flanked by Doric pilasters. The bedrooms have plain ovolo panelling dados and cornices. The second floor rooms have C19 panelling. Staircase to semi basement and rear kitchen passage similar to first floor. Basement with two heated south-east rooms, a dairy and two brick vaulted store rooms. The house and open courtyard were added to the existing Odsey stables and jockey house; Odsey races were revived during the reign of George II.

RCHM report 1950 VCH Vol VIII Cambridgeshire Odsey VCH Yol I Hertfordshire Odsey Races Fordham, G Notes on the Hundred and Manor or Grange of Odsey

Listing NGR: TL2953038053

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1902)
Fordham, G , Notes on the Hundred and Manor or Grange of Odsey
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982)
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 29530 38053


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:57:45.

End of official listing