THE COCK INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1330904
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1986
Statutory Address:
THE COCK INN, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330904.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 21:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COCK INN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Gamlingay
National Grid Reference:
TL 23829 52352

Details

GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET TL 2352 (North side) 11/46 The Cock Inn 22.11.67 (formerly listed as No 25)

GV II*

Inn. Late C16 or early C17 extended at the rear. Timber framed, plaster rendered. Tiled roof with ridge stack of late C17 or early C18 having recesses in each face. Plan of baffle entry main range with contemporary crosswing at west end. Main range of one storey and attic. Plaster walls have border of scallop decoration to eaves and round some openings. (Probably c.1712 - see no 36 Church Street). Three C19 dormers with reset lions head masks to gables. Two hung sashes on either side of baffle entry doorway. One small original closet window with leaded cames above the doorway. East gable has scallop border carried round and interrupted by a lead roundel with trade signs including a pike, flask, corkscrew, glass, stock for brick making etc. West crosswing of two storeys with jettied first floor carried on scroll brackets enriched with acanthus foliage. One window to each storey including a twelve pane hung sash on ground floor. Club room added to north end of crosswing. Interior: arch braced tie beams, rebuilt inglenook in main range. Light framing to ceiling suggesting an insertion or rebuild or possibly a later date. There has been an inn on the site since 1435. It is likely that the present inn was built by John Russell in late C16. By his will of 1583 he left gifts to the poor of Waresley and Gamlingay and directed that a memorial should be erected on the house end of the inn. This may be the emblems at the east end, although they have a closer similarity with the C18 plasterwork at No 36 Church Street

RCHM: West Cabs mon (24) VCH: Cambs Vol V p70 C Brown: Mss Notes

Listing NGR: TL2382952352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52710
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 70
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16329/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].