This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330979



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sawston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4849 SAWSTON CHURCH LANE 9/247 Sawston Hall 12.2.58 GV I Country House. Late medieval manor house reputedly burnt in 1553 by the Duke of Northumberland as a reprisal for the Huddleston family's hospitality to Mary on July 6 1553. Rebuilt by Sir John Huddleston (d.1557) and his son Sir Edmund Huddleston (d.1606), 'IH 1557' and 'EH 1584' (dated stones in courtyard), using stone from Cambridge castle, a gift of Queen Mary. Alterations, rebuilding and extensions in early C18, and C19; restoration 1850-61. Limestone, ironstone and clunch rubble with Barnack limestone; C19 limestone dressings and some brick and tile repair. Plain tiled roofs with leaded valleys and flats. Two storeys with attics. Courtyard plan, original medieval hall range on north side with two storeyed porched entrance, and oriel linked by completed wings (1584) to south range (1553-7) with gallery and pentagonal stair turret; a priest's hole in this turret built by Nicholas Owen, and three other holes are exceptional in their design. A private chapel in the south range was registered for public worship in 1791. North elevation: Main hall range of four 'bays' with original medieval chequered masonry up to attic floor. Flanking wings each of two 'bays' with gabled parapets; moulded band between ground and first floors and capping to plinth continuous across projecting gabled porch and oriel. C19 Jacobean revival archway to entrance porch replacing C18 archway, restored windows with hollow-chamfered and chamfered mullions and transomes, of multiple- lights at ground and first floors with moulded cornices; dormer and attic windows of two and three-lights. Side stacks rebuilt or party rebuilt with red brick octagonal shafts. (C18 print). Interior: Late C15 painted plank and muntin partition rebuilt as internal porch in south range. Late C16 panelling, much resited, in great hall and chambers of north range (with C16 tapestries temporarily removed R.C.H.M. report) and long gallery with original fireplaces; of note the late C16 fireplace to the hall with Ionic pilasters flanking four-centred moulded stone arch with three bay overmantel frieze and panels divided by short Ionic pilasters and consoles with acanthus decoration. Late C16 stair turret with solid oak steps and central newel; in attic of stair turret and within the north wall of the south range a priests hole; (three other priest holes in south and east ranges). Staircase in east range late Cl rebuilt in C19 Jacobean style. C16 kitchen in west wing with two hearths, one with a baking oven. Late C17 or early C18 bolection moulded panelling of two heights in north-east room; door frames in staircase hall and C18 vaulted cellar. Early to mid C18 panelling, doors and chimney piece to north west chamber. Chapel with late C18 internal head-stopped drip moulds, floor, and marble altar, C19 plaster imitation linen-fold panelling and stained glass including one to John Digby recently sanctified; balustered gallery to priest's room in east range at mezzanine level with guardrobe and priest's hole above. Some C18 doors and architraves; mid C19 doors and fittings, internal partitions, rear passage and service rooms to north range. The hall remained in the ownership of the Huddleston family till c.1975 when it was sold to The Cambridge Centre for Languages; during the second world war it was the operational headquarters of the 66th Fighter Wing of the 2nd and 8th Air Force. R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p. Tevershams History of Sawston Country Life. June 10, 17, 24 1954 Pevsner. Buildings of England

Listing NGR: TL4884049112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978)
Teversham, , History of Sawston
'Country Life' in 10 June, (1954)
'Country Life' in 17 June, (1954)
'Country Life' in 24 June, (1954)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 48840 49112


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1330979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 10:49:56.

End of official listing