BOTTISHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1331430

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: BOTTISHAM HALL, TUNBRIDGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOTTISHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:36:52.

Location

Statutory Address: BOTTISHAM HALL, TUNBRIDGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bottisham

National Grid Reference: TL 55141 61644

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 56 SE BOTTISHAM TUNBRIDGE LANE (North Side) 4/27 Bottisham Hall

II

Country house built 1797 for Rev G L Jenyns possibly by Charles Humfrey. Grey brick with low pitch, hipped roofs of slate, with boarded eaves and boxed guttering. Ridge stacks. U-plan, with later service wings at rear. Two storeys. The principal elevation is to the South and is in three bays, including the projecting, half-round entrance bay. Semi-circular headed arch to the doorway with half-glazed, double doors and a fanlight with radial glazing bars. The flanking, recessed hung sashes to this bay are of twelve panes. Three similar windows at first floor have cast-iron balconettes. The two outer bays have, at ground floor, semi-circular arches to recessed window bays, each with a hung sash of fifteen panes in a flat, gauged brick arch. The side elevation to the garden is in seven bays, with similar fenestration and hung sashes of fifteen panes at ground floor. one window retains its original pelmet. Inside, the hall is approximately oval in plan with two round headed niches in the corners. The two principal rooms flanking the hall have original, plaster mouldings and fireplaces in white marble. There is a cantilevered, open-string staircase with a curtail and square balusters leading up to a landing with a screen of Ionic columns. Charles Humfrey also designed the Vicarage at Swaffham Bulbeck.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p6, mon (4) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p305

Listing NGR: TL5514161644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49298

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 305
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing