This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1331468



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swaffham Prior

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jun-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49386

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 5663 SWAFFHAM PRIOR HIGH STREET (West Side) 15/163 No 80 Baldwin Manor (formerly listed as 1.12.1951 Baldwin Manor)


Manor house, c1500 extended by one bay to the South in early-mid C16 and again in C17 by the addition of a kitchen wing at the rear. The parlour of the original house was demolished before 1815. Timber-framing, exposed, on a brick plinth, with plain tiled roof, hipped to the South West. The original stack at the North East gable end would have been internal. It is of red brick, with some clunch. In plan the house was of a single range of four or five bays which have now been reduced to three. The early-mid C16 addition is of one bay. Two storeys. The first floor is jettied and the jetty beam, which has carved leaf ornament, is carried on joists laid flat, shaped jetty brackets, and embattled pilasters now mostly mutilated. The two brackets flanking the doorway to the cross-passage are carved with devices of the Baldwin family, as are the spandrels to the four-centred arch to the doorway. The fenestration is all later, probably late C17 or early C18, with cross-frame casements at ground floor, and much original glass. However at first floor the original sills to the c1500 windows are preserved. In the rear wall there are two C16 windows one of four ogee lights with pierced trefoil tracery to heads, and another of seven lights with hollow moulded mullions. The early-mid C16 addition is similar to the original house. It is timber-framed and jettied at first floor. It also has a moulded jetty beam and joists carried on shaped brackets with embattled pilasters, now mutilated. The jetty plate, however, is embattled. There is curved or cranked downward bracing from the posts to the jetty beam. The C17 kitchen bay adjoins this bay at the rear. Timber-framed and plain tiled with a large stack of red brick at the junction with the principal range. One storey and attic. Inside. Apart from the loss of the parlour, the plan of the original house remains intact. The hall is in two bays with a cross-passage at the low end. The screens wall still survives but a staircase has been inserted into the cross-passage. The original mortices for a partition wall between the buttery and pantry are visible in the service bay. In the hall, the ceiling is quartered and has double ogee moulding to the main beams, and to the principal posts. The cambered bressummer over the inglenook hearth has a rose boss at the centre and foliate ornament on either side. A doorway to the right of the hearth possibly led to a staircase to the chamber over the hall. This doorway has a four centred arch in a square head with spandrels carved with foliate ornament, part mutilated. At first floor, the chamber over the hall has cambered and chamfered tie-beams with arch bracing. There are two original windows in this room retaining some of their original diamond mullions. The crown-post roof is intact and has bracing only to the collar purlin. There is no smoke blackening. The early-mid C16 addition has stop chamfered main beams. On a former moated site and known to have been associated with the Baldwin family in C13. The house is particularly noteworthy for its mouldings connected with the heraldic devices of the Baldwin family.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), 121, mon (5) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p468

Listing NGR: TL5669263844

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 468
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

National Grid Reference: TL 56476 63938


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:50:21.

End of official listing