This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1331632



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WISBECH NORTH BRINK TF 4509 5/154 No. 15 (Peckover House) GV I

Fine house built in 1722. Wings attributed to Algenon Peckover (1803-1893) in 1878 but designed by Edward Boardman of Norwich. Original late C18 bank to west included in these C19 additions. Local amber brick with red brick, and gauged red brick details. Lead roofs; four internal side stacks. Three storeys with half- basements. Square plan of five 'bays'. Giant pilasters at quoins. Panelled parapet with stone copings, moulded, dentil enriched cornice of gauged brick. Gauged brick bands between floors. Vertical red brick bands link windows with gauged brick aprons and segmental arches. Twelve-paned hung sash windows decrease in height at each floor. Four basement windows. Some windows original C18. Fine central, oolitic limestone doorcase with rusticated jambs and dentil enriched segmental pediment, approached by four stone steps. Entrance door with eight raised and fielded panels and round-headed fanlight with interlacing glazing bars. Garden elevation has a fine stone staircase with balustrade leading up to pedimented doorcase with Venetian window and three-light lunette above, both possibly inserted in mid C18. Flanking wings, c.1878 and c.1890, single storey, curved in plan, of matching materials. Wing to east with parapet and two, single-light and one, three-light hung sash window with slender paired, columnar mullions. Wing to west with similar elevation but with open porch to original late C18 side entrance. Late C18 single-storey bank with hipped roof exists in part, masked by garden wall. Original openings blocked; strong room survives at basement level and small safe under floor boards+; shelving at ceiling height possibly original and used for ledgers. The interior decoration is particularly noteworthy and is of two periods. Early work possibly by craftsmen from Houghton Hall, Norfolk; the Palladian/Rococco work c.1760 carried out by the Southwell family. All rooms have original panelling, window cases with shutters and window seats, richly ornamented chimney pieces, and pedimented doorcases and ceiling cornices. Six-panelled doors with original brass locks (night locks in bedrooms) and hinges, archways with panelled soffits and pilasters. Rococo details added to some room decoration, ie ceiling of west, front bedroom. Fine staircase with Vitruvian scroll string repeated as a band. Venetian window in staircase hall with very fine coffered, plastered ceiling of ribbon work, foliage, and shells with 'free' foliage lamp boss. Servants stair closed- string with slender balusters and pine rail. Pine floors; hall floor geometric limstone with black (Belgian) marble setts. Wing to east originally furnished as a library for Algenon Peckover. Service basement, brick vaulted, has large cooking hearth in kitchen with early C20 cooking range made in Wisbech, original lead-lined sink, seats to servants hall and limestone floor. Peckover House has been the property of the National Trust since 1948 originally the home of the Peckover, banking family from 1877. Sources: +Personal communciation with Mr. Garnon, the Custodian of Peckover House. NT, Peckover House, Wisbech, 1978. VCH Cambs, p.242. Pevsner, Buildings in England, po500. Watson, 1827, Walker and Craddock, 1847, Gardiner, p.34, 1898, Histories of Wisbech. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus. Country Life, 1947. Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1921.

Listing NGR: TF4585809662

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 34
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 500
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849)
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1947)
'National Trust Guide' in Peckover House Wisbech, (1978)
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1921)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TF 45858 09662


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 03:30:17.

End of official listing