CHAPEL OF EASE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1331986
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Oct-1983
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF EASE, HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF EASE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1331986 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 19:05:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF EASE, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Fenland (District Authority)
Parish:
Wisbech St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TF4031204018

Details

TF 40 SW WISBECH ST. MARY HIGH ROAD 14/84 Guyhirne

23.6.52 Chapel of Ease (formerly listed as Old Church)

II*

Formerly the parish church, dated 1660 on lintel over doorway, replacing a mediaeval church in the village. Limestone ashlar with some reused stone, possibly mediaeval in buttress and plinth at west end. Brick to west and north wall. Pantiled roof with open timber bell-cote at west gable end above one window of four plain round-headed lights. Rectangular plan. Two similar windows in south wall and another to east and north walls. Doorways in segmental arch to west end of south wall. Interior has original C17 stall pews and hat pegs. Part of the pulpit is intact. Octagonal with sunken panels in two tiers, on modern base. The ceiling is plastered. The chapel is an important example of ecclesiastical building during the Commonwealth. It is associated with the late C17 and C18 Anabaptist sect, the Culimites, whose leader David Culy is believed to have preached there. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.236. - Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.399.

Listing NGR: TF4031204018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
48177
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 399
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13136/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].