HALTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1332843
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
HALTON HOUSE, UPPER ICKNIELD WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1332843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 12:49:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALTON HOUSE, UPPER ICKNIELD WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Halton
National Grid Reference:
SP 88033 10108

Details

SP 81 SE HALTON UPPER ICKNIELD WAY

5/83 Halton House

II*

Country House. Since 1919 RAF Officer's Mess. 1881-3 by W.R. Rogers of Cubitts for Alfred de Rothschild. French Renaissance style, ashlar stone with steep slated roofs, iron crestings and finials, chimneys with cornices and pediment caps. Segmental pedimented dormers and oval windows to central bays, large open domed cupola to centre of garden front. 2-storeys and attic, engaged Doric columns to ground floor with triglyph frieze. Metopes carved with Rothschild insignia; cornice and balustrades. Ionic order to 1st floor with sections of cornice. Bays flanking centre have pilaster order. Entrance and garden fronts both of six bays, the 3 outer in half-octagonal turrets, central bay with full height pedimented frontispiece, with porche-cochene to ground floor of Entrance front. Tall plate glass casements, those to ground floor with semicircular arched heads. Carved panels over windows on S.E. tower. Attached terrace on Garden front with stone steps, balustraded with urns. 1-storey block at E. end linked to lower service wing, 1-storey and attic, in matching style. 1-storey modern dining room extension on N. side. Former winter garden at W. end demolished 1937 and replaced by officers quarters by Vincent Harris. Ashlar stone with slate roof, 3 storeys square block, 8 bays to each front, attic windows with oval heads and cills. Interior: Great central 2-storey hall and staircase surrounded by state rooms all decorated in gilt plasterwork of great elaboration. Iron stair balustrade and balcony fronts to hall. Marble chimneypieces in all rooms. Billiard room lined with polished wood panelling. Gold room in Moorish style with gilt ceiling, arches, doorcases and dado. Winter Garden corridor with white stone columns and niches. History said to be first house built for electric lighting. Early example of hot air central heating. (see"Beechwoods and Bayonets, The Book of Halton" A.E. Adam, Buckingham 1983).

Listing NGR: SP8803310108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
42653
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Adam, A E, Beechwoods and Bayonets The Book of Halton, (1983)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01827/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].