CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1333152
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:35:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Woolfardisworthy
National Grid Reference:
SS 33219 21084

Details

WOOLFARDISWORTHY WOOLFARDISWORTHY SS 32 SW

5/221 Church of All Hallows (formerly 20.2.58 listed as Church of Holy Trinity)

GV I

Anglican parish church. Norman origin, mid C15 tower, C14 nave and transept. C16 aisle, porch and vestry C19 incorporating some earlier roof. Restored in 1872. Mostly of coursed local rubble slate roofs, stone coped verges. Plan: nave, chancel, long north aisle. South transept, south nave porch, west tower. Restored in 1872 when windows were renewed and north vestry probably added. Exterior: stage tower with offsets between the stages, central 5-sided crenallated stair-turret with series of trefoiled and quatrefoiled openings on the south facade rising above the body of the tower. Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles which are probably of C18 or early C19. 2-light bell-chamber windows, 2 of the C15 with tracery, square-headed window, probably of similar date to west, large square corner buttresses on bottom stage of the tower, 3-light west window, tracery replaced in the C19. West doorway in a simple surround of 2 orders, replaced C19. 2-bay nave, 2 windows with virtually semi-circular heads, one of 2-lights, one of 4-lights, openings and reveals ancient, windows C19 Perpendicular style. Norman semi-circular head south doorway of 3 orders, chevron and beak-head ornament, carved cushion caps and hook shafts, door probably C18. Gable C19 porch with floor of C17 reused monument slabs. Transept with a large 4-light window to the south with C19 tracery. 3-light basket-arch headed window to west also C19. North aisle of 5 bays, with chamfered stone cornice, 3-light windows, 2 to east with original C16 tracery and jambs, one with tracery renewed in C19, one window blocked, probably in the C17 when a monument was introduced in the aisle. North wall with 2 C18 memorial slabs, good incised lettering and emblems of mortality. North doorway is simple chamfered stone 4-centred arch. Restored C19 east and west windows. Chancel with 2 late C16 windows to the south of 2-lights with square heads, stopped labels, a cinquefoil at the head of each light, between these a doorway with simple chamfered stone surround, door possibly C18. 3-light east window, C19 Perpendicular tracery, opening and reveals certainly earlier. Small C19 vestry at east end of aisle with chimney with projecting rubble breast and a brick shaft, 2-light C16 or C17 window reused to the east. Doorways in the aisle and chancel with C19 wrought-iron dog gates. Interior: no chancel arch, rubble tower arch possibly rebuilt. Internal walls retain much early plaster. Flagstone floors, these replaced in chancel and part of nave with concrete slabs. Plaster barrel ceilings of C17 with large bold cornices, probably covering medieval roofs. 5-bay arcade of depressed 4-centred arches to aisle with 4-clustered shafts, 2 with carved initials to caps. C13 font with the square bowl on central shaft of clustered columns with 4 angle shafts, remains of ancient colour. Aisle with what is believed to be an early altar. Stained glass C19. East window of north aisle 1870; also east window 1925 by Drake and Sons of Exeter. 2 C17 tables. C19 reading pulpit, altar rails and chains. Good Perpendicular C15 or C16 carved bench ends in nave and north aisle with various religious devices. Otherwise C19 benches. Memorials: in chancel a white marble oval wall tablet with urn above to Mary Hammer died 1793 and white marble Neo-Classical Tablet to Bartholomew Prust of 1862 by Baker. In the north aisle a good large early C17 or late C16 monument to a member of the Cole family. Ancient colour survives throughout with Trophy reliefs supporting round-arched recess framing reclining figure in armour with inscription panel (faint) in strapwork cartouche. Flanking Corinthian columns support pulvinated frieze and attic storey with 3 armorials in strapwork frames between 2 obelisks. Limestone grey marble wall tablet to John Whitlake dated 1750 with Roman Doric frame to inscription and urn above. Secondary cartouche in apron below to Mary Whitlake (d.175 ). Plain rectangular white marble tablet inscribed to John Robbins "who was thrown from his horse and perished in a deep snow on 11th Feb 1784". Adjoining above is the apron of a missing C17 limestone monument with skull wings, fronds and cherubim retaining ancient colour and gold. Tablet to Rev Joseph Prust Neo-Classical white and grey marble first half of C19 by Baker.

Listing NGR: SS3322121085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91290
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11792/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].