10, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1333331
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
10, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10, CATHEDRAL CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333331.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:08:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
10, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92183 92583

Details

CATHEDRAL CLOSE 1. 1092 No 10 SX 9292 NW 3/105 29.1.53 GV 2. Sometimes called the Gatehouse. In the Middle Ages and later was house of thw Archdeacons of Barnstaple and Totnes, the frontage onto the road probably being gatehouse and stables. This range is 2 storeys of Heavitree stone in random and coursed rubble and includes also the frontage of No 11. Windows are various, including two large Georgian 1st floor bays, oak mullioned windows of various sizes, and small stone windows to ground floor. In centre is the famous early C17 oak gate carved with heavily rusticated cubes, shell design etc. The arch is semi-circular, with arms of Biship Cotton (1598-1621) over it. This arch leads to small courtyard, of which No 11 forms the east side. On west is 2 storeys half-timbered building probably C19. On north is 2 storey hall and chapel of the ancient house. The former has plastered timber upper floor. Stone arch to screens passage has arms of Bishop Oldham (1504-1519), but parts of the house may be older. Slate roofs. Interior: carved wooden ceiling etc 1st floor chapel has Perpendicular east window and barrel-shaped early C17 plaster ceiling. (NB. The house was occupied mid C19 by John Gendall, artist, sculptor, etc, so that some of the features may be suspect. He is responsible for the Flaxman and Thorwaldson reliefs found in the house). All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9217892589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88921
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15952/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].