CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1333731.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 22:45:10.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SY 10863 99420
SY 19 NW
7/56 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Norman origins, but rebuilt in more than one phase in the C15, and early C16; major renovation of 1877. Local stone and flint rubble, the north transept is coursed blocks of dressed flint; limestone, sandstone and Bathstone quoins and detail; slate roof. Plan: nave and chancel, full length south aisle which includes the Patteson Chapel. West tower and porch in the angle of the tower and south aisle. North transept and vestry to north of the chancel. Exterior: low unbuttressed tower of 2 stages with embattled parapet which once had corner pinnacles. Semi-hexagonal stair turret on the north side. Large unusual carved gargoyles. Large replacement belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery. The west doorway is 2-centred arch with moulded surround and hoodmould and above it is a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and a hoodmould. Lean-to porch on west end of the aisle has diagonal buttresses and contains a 2-centred arch doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould with label stops carved as human heads. The church door behind (into the west end of the aisle) is a low Tudor arch. South aisle has a 6-window front of 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery separated by limestone ashlar buttresses. The east chapel windows are distinguished by volcanic ashlar voussoirs. Priest's doorway has a small Tudor arch with carved foliate spandrels. The east window has a 3-centred arch with cusped Y-tracery. The east chancel window is C19; Hamstone with distinctive Perpendicular tracery. The vestry is C19 and Gothic in style. The north transept has diagonal buttresses and the end window is probably early C19, a 2-centred arch head with single vertical mullion. The north side of the nave has 2 Hamstone windows with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: is largely the result of the 1877 renovation. The nave is a ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs. and purlins. It is probably C15 or C16 but is much mended. Similar roof in chancel is neater and probably C19. South aisle and north transept have C19 roofs. Tall tower arch with double chamfered arch ring. C19 timber chancel arch with open cusped cresting. Beerstone 5-bay arcade (one overlapping the chancel) with moulded piers (Pevsner's type B) and carved capitals. Remains of stoup alongside the doorway. The walls are plastered. Flag floor including some old graveslabs. C19 panelled oak reredos with Gothic ornamentation. C19 oak altar is made up of panels carved like C15 bench ends. C19 oak altar rail and Gothic style oak stalls. Fine late C15 oak rood screen. It is divided into 2 sections by the arcade, 5 to the nave and 3 to the aisle. It is richly carved with Perpendicular blind arcading to the wainscotting. The windows have Perpendicular tracery (Pevsners's type A), the coved vault has Gothic decoration and there is a frieze of 3 bands of delicately undercut carved foliage. The rear coving is missing since the screen had been used as a reredos before it was restored to its original position in 1877. Plainer parclose screen in slightly different style. Pulpit and lectern are both late C19 oak with carved Gothic surround. The oak benches are mostly C19 with their ends carved in C15 style but some are original with tiers of blind tracery carved on the bench ends. Late C19 limestone font in Perpendicular style. C20 tower screen. An old oak chest in the nave is dated 1681. Memorials: a very well-preserved and high quality Beerstone chest tomb has been reset in a niche to the north of the sanctuary. The chest has a frieze of quatrefoils and on top lies the effigy of an emaciated cadaver partly covered by a shroud. There is nothing to indicate who this represented. The church guide suggests Sir William Fry (d. 1427) but some consider the tomb earlier. The other monuments are C19 and of little more than local interest, except for the graveslab in memory of John Coleridge Patteson, the missionary bishop who died in Melanesia in 1871. The chapel was rededicated in his memory during the 1877 renovation. There is some good C19 glass particularly the east chancel window and the tower window. Sources: Devon SMR. Church guide. Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SY1086399420
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Church of St Andrew Feniton Church Guide
Brooks, C, Cherry, M, Cox, J , Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing