Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1334358

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1990



Ordnance survey map of BRENTFORD BATHS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334358 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 16:54:24.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hounslow (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 17659 77790


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following building shall be added:-

CLIFDEN ROAD TQ 1777 NE (south side) 14/230 Brentford Baths II GV

Public baths. 1895-6 by T Nowell Parr (District Surveyor) for Brentford Urban District Council, builder J Barnes; later additions and alterations. Entrance elevation and right return block of red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; otherwise stock brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Red brick chimneys. Plinth with roll-moulded coping. Entrance elevation: one storey; 4 bays, progressively stepped forward (from left) and having door, window, door, window, the entrance bays narrower. The doors are in internal porches which have ashlar architraves with imposts and keyed archivolts with ashlar panels over (now cemented) and, inside, half-glazed panelled double doors with overlights which have wooden mullions and transoms and leaded, coloured, glazing. The windows are of 3 lights, the central lights taller and with keyed round arches, and have glazing bars; coloured, leaded, glass to overlights of side-lights; corniced ashlar architraves with capitalled pilasters and central pediments inscribed 'PUBLIC' 'BATHS'. Below each window the pilasters descend to plinth and flank central foundation and opening date- stones. Gabled roofs run back behind window bays and have ridge louvres broken by chimneys. Set back at centre is tall pediment of pool roof which has lunette with glazing bars. Set back on left is gabled boiler house with small-pane oculus, stepped eaves, glazed ridge louvre, and to rear left the tapering square chimney which has an arched recess to each side. Right return: 2-storey, 4-bay block, believed to be former council committee rooms, projects on right. Its left bay has wide, raised, elliptical archway to internal porch, with later door. Bay 3 projects slightly and has half-glazed door and fanlight in keyed archivolt. 2-light small-pane windows in pilastered architraves with cornices to ground floor. On first floor, windows alternately set below segmental pediments and finialled gables. Interior: original doors with leaded coloured glass; womens slipper baths, to front right, retain 2 baths; superintendant's office, committee room (to centre front) has original fireplace with decorative tile surround; plainer fireplace, cupboards and drawers to ticket office behind. Pool extended at deep end, with original rear wall broken through; original wooden gallery to each side; braced steel trusses. Mens slipper baths converted to gymnasium. Former laundry to rear left. Former council office block has decorative cornices and plaster ceilings.

Listing NGR: TQ1765977790


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 439815

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing