PARISH OF REPTON
Church of St Wystan
Parish church. C9,C13,C14,C15, restoration 1885-6 by Arthur
Blomfield. West steeple, aisled nave and chancel. Coursed
rubble sandstone and ashlar. Plain tile and lead roofs. West
tower of three unequal stages, divided by moulded stringcourses.
Moulded plinth. Angle buttresses. The west elevation has a
doorway with moulded mid C14 arch and hoodmould. 3-light Perp
window above with castellated transom. Hoodmould on headstops.
Small trefoiled lancet above and mid C14 2-light bell openings
with transom and ogee hoodmould. The south side has a large
circular clockface and similar bell openings. The north side
has a small trefoiled lancet and similar bell openings, and
again similar bell openings to east. Quatrefoil frieze and
castellated parapet, gargoyles and four pinnacles. Octagonal
stone spire with three tiers of lucarnes. Lean-to C13 north
aisle with moulded parapet. Vestry with parapet, and 3 and
4-light mullioned windows. Angle buttresses and one
intermediate buttress. Fenestration from the west. Single
chamfered lancet, doorway with colonnettes and moulded arch,
early C14 window with Y-tracery, 3-light window of stepped
lancet lights and a window with Y-tracery. C15 clerestory with
seven 2-light windows of cusped four-centred arches under square
heads. Battlemented parapet. North aisle east window of three
stepped lancet lights. C13 and early C14 south aisle has an
east window of three stepped lancets and a single lancet to the
west. C15 two storey gabled porch with moulded doorway.
Hoodmould continuing as a stringcourse. Crocketed and pinnacled
niche above, flanked by 2-light windows of cusped ogees under a
flat arch. Angle buttresses with pinnacles. To the west the
staircase projection cuts the aisle window. To the east a
2-light window of cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left
of the porch an early C14 window of three lancet lights. To the
right of the porch is a similar 4-light window and a window with
Y-tracery. To the right again a lean-to south transept chapel
with plain moulded parapet, angle buttresses, a chimney in the
north west angle, a priest's doorway with moulded arch and a
4-light south window under flat arch with curious cusped lozenge
tracery, probably C15. Clerestory as on north side. The
chancel is tall and unbuttressed, with the crypt below. The
lower walls are of fine masonry, the lowest courses forming a
plinth of four steps. On the south side two large blocks
project, suggesting an external projection. Rectangular 3-light
C16 window to the crypt. Between the lintels of these windows
and the sill level of the C14 east window is a section of
walling of roughly squared blocks of brown stone with massive
flat quoins, unique to Repton. Above this the masonry changes
to smaller whitish blocks. Chamfered stringcourse surmounted by
lesenes ending in curious splayed capitals just below the eaves.
C13 north lancet and a similar C20 south lancet incorporating
fragments of a blocked original. 4-light east window of plain
lancets. There is a second lancet to the right on the north
side. Interior: The Anglo-Saxon crypt is reached by two
contemporary staircases from the aisles. The crypt measures
about 16ft square and about 10ft high and consists of nine
almost square bays roofed with domical vaults carried on
cross-ribs which spring from two pilasters on each wall and rest
on four-centred columns. The columns have moulded bases, spiral
fillets and grooved capitals. The pilasters are decorated with
blank arches. Double cornice along the north, south and east
walls. Each wall has a shallow recess, which may have housed
tombs. That to the west has a cornice and above it, a partly
filled-in triangular recess. The south porch has C15 plank
doors with wrought iron hinges. Inner doorway with flat arch
and moulded surround. C15 plank doors. Flanked by free-
standing C9 circular columns with capitals like those of the
crypt pilasters. These were originally at the east end of the
nave arcades and were replaced in 1854. Early C14 six bay
arcades, the eastern bays of 1854. Octagonal piers, moulded
capitals and double chamfered arches. Moulded hoodmould.
Double chamfered chancel arch, dying into the imposts. Triple
chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals to the inner order.
Hoodmould on head stops. Earlier roofline visible above. On
the south side of the chancel is a large roughly cut piscina.
At the south east angle of the nave is the upper rood doorway.
Monuments: George and Ellen Waklin +1617 and +1614 (south
transept) the two figures facing each other across a prayer
desk, their child below. John Macauley +1840 (south transept)
by Hall of Derby. Slate tablet to Thomas Whitehead +1645 (south
transept) erected in 1802 and commemorating a charity he set up.
By Stanley of Buxton. Plain tablet of 1779 with swags. In the
south aisle, an incised alabaster slab to Gilbert Thacker +1563.
In the north aisle; a tablet to Rev Joseph James +1856, by
Hall. William Bagshaw Stevens +1800 by E F Evans of Derby.
Francis Thacker +1710, a heavy aedicule. Much defaced incised
slab set into the floor. Thomas Fisher +1771, a large aedicule.
In the last bay of the nave is a tomb chest with an alabaster
effigy of a Knight, c1400. C18 communion rails, with turned
balusters. Georgian style dado in the chancel of 1935. The
chancel has a plaster ceiling and cornice. C19 choir stalls.
Brass eagle lectern of 1877. Royal Arms over the south door
dated 1772. Rich C19 octagonal font. Under the tower a painted
board giving the table of tolls for Willington Bridge. Good
Perp style roofs. Stained glass by Powells.
Listing NGR: SK3029927168