STEPHENSON MEMORIAL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1334684

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: STEPHENSON MEMORIAL HALL, CORPORATION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEPHENSON MEMORIAL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1334684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 11:31:54.

Location

Statutory Address: STEPHENSON MEMORIAL HALL, CORPORATION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 38590 71213

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORPORATION STREET 1. 5169 (South East Side) Stephenson Memorial Hall SK 3871 SE 3/137 9.8.76.

II GV

2. 1879. Architects Smith and Woodhouse. Built by public subscription as a memorial to George Stephenson the railway pioneer who lived at Tapton Hall and is buried in Holy Trinity Church. Eastern wing added in same style in 1898. Gothic design. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Building generally of 2 storeys. Irregular plan with tower set in north-west angle to Corporation Street. Tower has short spire and corbelled parapet gabled on each facade. Paired lancets below With string courses and a further window set above Gothic arched door. Facades to west of tower along St Mary's Gate and Corporation Street. 2 bays each with additional angled corner window. Gothic arched windows with dripstones, generally unbarred sashes below. 1st floor windows with mullions and transoms set under Gothic arches which break through eaves as gabled dormers with finials. To east of tower, Corporation Street facade includes end (western and eastern) 2 storey gabled advanced blocks each with fluted centre chimney flanked by Gothic arched windows with dripstones, mullion and transoms. Lower advanced section asymmetrically placed between these 2 wings. 1 large Gothic 3 light window in gable end. Flanking this part, to east and west, 1 storey ranges with gabled dormers which break through eaves; parapet and blocking course link these together. Recessed 1st floor of main east-west section rises above these ranges and has similar dormers. The hall and its tower are prominent landmarks Ref The Builder, July 12, 1879. p. 774.

Listing NGR: SK3859071213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 83331

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in July 12, (1879), 774

End of official listing