Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:16:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bolsover (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 47696 77188


SK 47 NE PARISH OF BARLBOROUGH CHURCH STREET 1/27 (East Side) 26.8.65 Church of St James GV II*

Parish church. C12, C14, and 1894-9. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs, coped gables with plain kneelers and cross finials. West tower with north vestry and south porch, aisled nave, and chancel with north vestry and chapel. Moulded plinth to the tower, chamfered plinth to the nave and chancel. Tower of three stages divided by string courses. To the west is a large double chamfered lancet. To the south is a deep gabled porch with moulded doorway of two orders, the inner order dying into the imposts. Trefoiled niche above with statue. Three-light flat-arched window to west side of porch, with ogee lights. The north side of the tower has a gabled vestry with chamfered pointed doorway to west and to the north a flat-arched window of four cusped ogee lights. The middle stage of the tower has a circular pierced clockface to west and south. Bell-stage has tall 2- light bell-openings almost round-arched, with Perp tracery and a transom. Battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Lean-to north aisle has three 2- light C19 windows with cusped ogee lights. Four 3-light clerestory windows of cusped ogee lights under flat arches. Taller north chapel has a 3-light Perp window with triangular head and hoodmould. The C19 vestry beyond has a plain lancet, and to the east a flat-arched window of four cusped ogee lights. The chancel has diagonal buttresses and a large 5-light Perp window under a four-centred arch. The chancel to the south has two 3-light Perp windows under triangular heads, and a buttress adjacent to a moulded doorway with triangular head and returned hoodmould. Perp style panelled door. Two re-set gargoyles. Lean-to south aisle has a C19 3-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery. To the south are four 2-light C19 windows with ogee lights. Four clerestory windows as on the north side. Interior: Four bay north arcade of c1200, with round arches, stepped and with a slight chamfer. Octagonal pier and keeled quatrefoil pier, semi-circular respond to east, keeled respond to west. Leaf capitals. C19 south arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and slightly chamfered stepped arches. Triple chamfered tower arch, the inner order with moulded capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on C19 corbels. Plain plastered arches from the chancel to the north chapel and organ chamber, and from the north aisle to the chapel. C19 ogee-arched piscina in the chancel. C19 memorial brass on the north side of the chancel. On the south side of the chancel is an aedicule wall monument with a skull below, to a rector who died in 1702. Italian C14 painting of The Crucifixion. C19 octagonal font on a clustered base with marble colonettes. Between the north chapel and the organ chamber are three 2-light Perp windows, the left hand one genuine C14. At the east end of the north aisle is an alabaster slab with an effigy of a lady in sunk relief, said to be Lady Furnival who died in 1395. C19 Perp style choir stalls with poppyheads. Several windows have C19 stained glass. The chancel has a C19 hammerbeam roof. Above the chancel arch is a large painting of the Last Supper. Two lozenge-shaped hatchments (nave west).

Listing NGR: SK4769677188


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05421/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Vin Rigby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].