CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1335636
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:11:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Burtholme
National Grid Reference:
NY 55589 63726

Details

NY 56 SE BURTHOLME LANERCOST

31/50 Church of St Mary (previously listed as Lanercost Priory - The Nave)

1.4.57 I

Parish church, formerly nave of Lanercost Priory. Early C13 with C18 alterations. Calciferous and red sandstone from the nearby Roman Wall, graduated green slate roof. 8-bay nave and north aisle. Chamfered plinth, string courses, buttresses and dentilled moulded cornice. West entrance has pointed arch of 4 engaged columns and mouldings; arcade of engaged columns above with trefoil heads; large 3-light west window of pointed arches and engaged slender columns; flanking stepped buttresses; niche above with C13 carved stone figure of St Mary and flanking coats of arms of Sir Thomas Dacre. North aisle and clerestory lancet windows with hood moulds. South wall has blocked doorways to cloisters. East window was built in 1740 to separate ruined choir from the restored nave. Interior: north aisle arcade of pointed arches on octagonal columns. Clerestory arcades on clustered circular columns with pointed arches and dogtooth decoration. Barrel vaulted wooden ceiling was built in 1740 and repaired 1848-9. East window contains fragments of heraldic stained glass of 1559 for Sir Thomas Dacre from the nearby Dacre Hall. 2 Burne-Jones design stained glass windows in north aisle. Bronze plaque by Sir E. Boehm and Burne-Jones to Charles Howard, 1879. Serpentine and bronze plaques to members of the Howard family. Brass inscription from tomb of Sir Thomas Dacre. Blocked north entrance has remains of priory cross of 1214 (remains in grounds listed separately). Wooden bread cupboard with carved date 1707. C20 wooden steps to scriptorium. After the Dissolution the building was left in ruins until in 1739-40 the nave was reroofed as the parish church. See John R. H. Moorman, Lanercost Priory, 1983. Adjoining remains of the priory are listed separately.

Listing NGR: NY5558763726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78137
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moorman, JRH, Lanercost Priory, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11002/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].