CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1335703
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, A6070

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:40:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, A6070

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Burton-in-Kendal
National Grid Reference:
SD 53050 76921

Details

SD 5276-5376 BURTON A6070, Burton

6/6 Church of St. James 12.2.62

I

Parish Church. Base of Tower and North-West angle of Nave C12, North aisle possibly C13, North Chapel late C13, South Arcade to Nave and South Aisle C14, North Arcade, North Aisle and South Chapel late C15 or early C16. Restored, Chancel and North Chapel rebuilt and clerestory added in 1844; further restoration and South Arcade to Chancel rebuilt in 1872. Limestone rubble with limestone and sandstone dressings, slate roofs. West Tower, Nave with aisles, Chancel, North and South Chapels. 3-stage Tower has later embattled parapets, C14 West window with 2 trefoiled ogee lights, square-headed window in North wall and early C16 2-light windows in each wall of bell-chamber. South wall has gabled porch and C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, 2 windows c.1330 (RCHM), each of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, and 2 C16 windows with moulded ogee lights and reset doorway c1300 between them. East wall has C19 East window in rebuilt wall, C13 3-light window, with pointed heads to lights, in North Chapel and reset window c.1300, of 3 trefoiled lights with intersecting tracery, with carved head over, in South Chapel. West wall has C16 2-light window with remains of moulded label and headstops to North of Tower and partly restored early C16 3-light window with moulded label to South. North wall has 3 2- or 3-light windows, one reset C14 2-light window with ogee heads to lights to right and traces of blocked doorway. Interior has 9-bay king-post roof to Nave and Chancel (no Chancel Arch) the 4 most Western probably early C16, others later; C16 or earlier 8-bay roof to South Aisle; probably C16 roof to North Aisle. South Aisle has 2 recesses in South wall: one with trefoiled head and round drain and one with chamfered jambs. 5-sided oak Pulpit has enriched C17 panels assembled with C19 posts, base and cornice. Glass mostly C19, including window by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster dated 1877 in South Aisle. Fragments of medieval cross shafts.

Listing NGR: SD5305176922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76640
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08631/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Shelton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].