PRIORY CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1335798
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
PRIORY CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIORY CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 08:47:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRIORY CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Lower Allithwaite
National Grid Reference:
SD 37974 78800

Details

LOWER ALLITHWAITE CARTMEL SD 3778 8/42 Priory Church of 25.3.70 St Mary (formerly listed as Cartmel Priory Church) G.V. I Former Priory Church. Chancel, Piper choir, transepts, 1190-1220; Town choir c1330; nave and aisles, tower and tracery (except Town choir) 1395-1420; south porch c1613; vestry 1677. Ashlar; nave dressed stone and rubble; slate roofs. 3-bay nave has embattled parapet and recessed gable; 5-light west window with flanking deep buttresses and area wall. 2-light straight-headed clerestory windows. Aisles have 3-light west windows; south aisle has 2 windows of 3 lights and truncated buttresses, part has moulded base; 2 entrances, one with traceried door, the other in gabled porch is round-headed, of 3 orders, c1190. North aisle has traces of north cloister; early C13 entrance of 2 orders. Transepts have flat buttresses, that to north has 2 blocked north lancets, one cut by blocked entrance; upper 5-light window; lancet to west, 4-light window to east. South transept similar; parapet and recessed gable; 4-light south window with 5-light window above; good attached memorials; signs of cloister to west. Crossing tower has embattled parapet and diagonal upper stage with 4-light windows and parapet. 3-bay chancel has moulded base and flat buttresses flanking very large 9-light window; 2-light traceried straight-headed clerestory windows. Piper choir to north of 2 bays, flat buttresses, corbel table and 3-light windows; vestry to east has 3-light segmental-headed window. Town choir to south has 3-light windows, buttresses and 5-light east window with 2 blocked lights. Interior: 3-bay plain nave arcades. Crossing arches have clustered shafts to piers, choir has 2-bay round-headed arcades and continuous arcading to triforium. C17 collar rafter roofs, but quadripartite vault to Piper choir and- Cl9 roofs to crossing and Town choir. C15 stalls with good misericords; early cl7 canopies and screens. Harrington tomb, originally free standing, now in arch on south side of chancel; cutting sedilia, c1347, 2 recumbent effigies, arcading and figures, painted ceiling. Many other memorials of interest. Medieval grave slabs in Piper choir and chancel, recumbent effigy of canon c1340 in Town choir, slab to Prior William c1292 in chancel. Dame Katherine Lowther (died 1700) and Sir Thomas Lowther (died 1745), wall memorials in Town choir; other wall memorials in south transept are of interest. Many C17 and C18 grave slabs in floor. Lord Frederick Cavendish (died 1881) by T Woolner, marble effigy on alabaster tomb chest. Preston Family, 1646, painted board. C19 pulpit and font, also C17 font with cover dated 1645. Stained glass, early C15, some figures to east window, Town choir and porch. An important survival of a medieval monastic church, the Harrington Tomb and choir screen and canopies are works of major importance. See V.C.H., Vol.8, p254 ff; Pevsner, BoE: North Lancs:> pp86-90; J.C. Dickinson, The Land of Cartmel, p16 ff.

Listing NGR: SD3797478799

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dickinson, J C , The Land of Cartmel, (1980), 16
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1914), 254
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969), 86-90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02700/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].