CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1335935
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1335935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 08:44:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Casterton
National Grid Reference:
SD 62460 79687

Details

SD 67 NW CASTERTON CASTERTON

19/37 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1831-3, chancel c1860, by Crowther. Rock-faced limestone with ashlar dressings, chancel of rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Nave with west tower; chancel with north organ loft. 6-bay nave has gabled south porch and small gabled vestry opposite. Wide eaves and verges, scrolly gutter brackets. Weathered buttresses alternate with lancet windows with continuous hoodmould; diagonal buttresses. Porch has pointed arch. Tower has diagonal buttresses, chamfered angles to bell stage; which has louvred pointed bell openings with hoodmoulds, cornice and ashlar parapet with raised angles. West face has window with 4-centred head and label mould, with triangular-headed window above, and clock face below bell opening. Vestry has east entrance and north window. Chancel has weathered base and sill course; steep roof with coped gable with cross. 3 stepped lancets to east end have hoodmoulds. South side has trefoil-headed entrance and 3 lancets; north side has lancet to east of gabled organ loft with weathered buttress and coped gable. Interior: Nave has scissor truss roof with collars and kingposts. Wall paintings by J. CLarke c1905-10, painted on canvas. 2 wall memorials with gothic detail; Rev W. Carus Wilson (1859) and W.W. Carus Wilson (1851). Windows have plain irregular glass in abstract patterns, but west windows have glass by H. Holiday 1894-7. Tower arch to baptistry; octagonal font on clustered shafts, wall tablets with gothic detail and window by Shrigley and Hunt. Hanoverian arms in relief over entrance. Chancel arch has corbelled trefoil shafts; arch to left has screen with open tracery and iron grille to arch. Chancel has collar rafter roof, reredos has blind tracery and relief panel, communion rail with wrought iron diaper work, timber pulpit, lectern and stalls with pierced tracery panels; most fittings probably by Paley and Austin. Wall paintings and stained glass by H. Holiday, 1894-7. Founded by Rev William Carus Wilson, who also founded the Clergy Daughters' School, attended by Charlotte Bronte (when it was at Cowan Bridge), and who is believed to be the model for a character in Jane Eyre.

Listing NGR: SD6246079687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75616
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09396/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].