THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1336232
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE, MILL STREET, MAIDSTONE, ME15 6YE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 05:48:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE, MILL STREET, MAIDSTONE, ME15 6YE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 75925 55443

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/02/2017

TQ 7555 SE 6/68

MILL STREET (West Side) The Archbishop's Palace

30.7.51.

GV

I Begun by Archbishop Ufford in 1348. Completed by Archbishop Islip between 1349 and 1366. Enlarged by Archbishop Morton in 1486. Exchanged by Archbishop Crarmer with Henry VIII for other property. By Henry VIII it was granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt. On his son's rebellion it was forfeited to the Crown and subsequently granted to Sir John Astley, who built the greater part of the existing house in the second half of the C16.

The main portion of the building is of ashlar with timber-framed wings at the north and south ends. The main section is E-shaped. Two storeys and attics. Five windows and two dormers to the north-west front. Stringcourse. Parapet. Windows with stone mullions and transoms. Two large dormers above the outer-projecting east wings with kneelers, coping and finials over the apices and kneelers. Tiled roof. The centre projection is the porch with round-headed arch and room over.

At the south end of the building is a timber-framed wing nearby flush with the southern projection of the main front. This has one large and one small gable with pendants. Casement windows. At the north end of the building is a wing with stone ground floor and timber-framed upper storey with diagonal braces and plaster infill, surmounted by a gable with pendant. On the ground floor there is one obtusely pointed window and one square headed window containing two cinquefoil-headed lights. One sash window above them with glazing bars intact. To the north of this again is a further recessed wing wholly faced with stone but with a portion projecting on the first floor apparently timber framed but this is modern or a reconstruction.

The south-west front of the Palace facing the Medway has a fine stone corbelled oriel window with three tiers of six lights, stone mullions and transoms and chamfered stone corbelling beneath. Also there are some double or triple lancets with hood moulding. The interior contains C16 panelling and some fine C16 wood or stone fireplaces.

Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Masters House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7592155442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173433
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08537/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].