CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1336286

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:25:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Frinsted

National Grid Reference: TQ 89172 57403

Details

FRINSTED TQ 85 NE

1/1 Church of St Dunstan

26.4.68 II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Aisle widened 1856-61 by R C Hussey. 1870 restoration by Scott. Flint with stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, south porch, continuous nave and chancel, north chapel, north aisle. Tower: C15, 2 stages on plinth, with gargoyled upper string and battlements. Angle buttresses. Cusped 2-light belfry openings. Narrow single north and west lights with moulded jambs to top of lower stage. C19 west window and C19 moulded two-centred arched west doorway with hoodmould. Polygonal battlemented south-east stair turret, also with gargoyled string. Nave: plinthless, with very small undressed C12 lancet and two C19 windows in a C14 style with hood-moulds and faces to label stops. South Porch: on plinth. C19, with moulded C15-style two-centred arched doorway. Cusped barge- boards. Moulded Medieval two-centred arched inner doorway with hoodmould and Medieval boarded door. Chancel: plinthless. 3 south windows, two Cl9 and one, a lancet towards the east end, at least with C19 dressings. Decorative chalk voussoirs placed towards east end to suggest blocked round-headed south entrance. C15 east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with upper tracery. North Chapel: Late C12, with gable slightly lower than chancel but much lower than north aisle. Moulded stone plinth. C19 windows in a C14 style. North aisle: on moulded plinth, but not quite so wide as chapel. C19 trefoil-headed doorway with roll mouldings in angle between north aisle and north chapel. C19 windows. Interior: not inspected. J Newman (Buildings of England Series, North East and East Kent 1969) notes: Late C12 2-bay north arcade to chancel with lightly chamfered pointed arches, round piers with square chamfered abaci and capitals carved with leaves. C13 north arcade to nave with round piers and simply-moulded capitals carved with leaves. C13 north arcade to nave with round piers and simply-moulded capitals. C14 recess in north chapel. Crown-post roof to nave. Chancel and north chapel decorated 1870 with carved screen, stalls, and "remarkable" patterned wall-paintings.

Listing NGR: TQ8917257403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 173734

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1969)

End of official listing