This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1336401



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hever

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





MATERIALS: Local, rock-faced semi-coursed sandstone. Red clay tile roofs. Shingled spire.

PLAN: Nave, chancel with three-sided apse, S porch, NW steeple/organ chamber/vestry, SE vestry.

EXTERIOR: A picturesque early Victorian church in the Early English style. The windows throughout are almost exclusively lancets, uncusped in the nave, and with cusping in the chancel. The E window consists of three graded lancets. At the W end there are two tall lancets with a sexfoil light above and in between them. The south porch is of timber and has a low stone plinth. It shelters an incised inscription over the S doorway declaring `This Church was founded and begun by the Hon John Chetwynd Talbot and completed in fulfilment of his intentions by his widow┬┐ .┬┐ On the N side of chancel is a low tower with a shingled chamfer spire. The tower is of two stages with angle buttresses to the lower stages and pairs of lancet belfry windows in the upper stage. The N face of the ground floor has a two-light plate tracery window.

INTERIOR: The walls are of bare ashlar. At the E end the E window has detached shafts between the lights and, combined with the absence of intervening masonry between the lights, this creates an impressive three-dimensional effect. The roof over the nave has very plain, rather spindly scissor-braced trusses. In the chancel the roof has square panels and, at the E end, the ribs converge to a central point.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Much work remains from the C19. The most prominent feature is the pewing which is made of pine and has square ends to the seats. The pulpit is of stone and polygonal with each of the solid faces decorated with blind tracery. Access to the pulpit is via an opening in the wall from the chancel. At the E end the reredos consists of a row of five square panels decorated with instruments of the Passion. Above, the roof of the chancel is painted blue and includes swirling figures of angels: this work was carried out 1958 when decoration by G F Bodley was destroyed. The font has a circular bowl with a pretty trail of foliage encircling it: the stem is of quatrefoil section and has small heads at the top of each valley between the lobes. The E window is by William Wailes.

HISTORY: The building of this church was part of a general movement to provide places of worship for west Kent hamlets which had hitherto lacked them (cf nearby Fordcombe in 1848-9). The designer of the church, David Brandon (1813-97), was a well-known Victorian church architect. He was articled to George Smith from 1828 to 1883 and went on to become a partner of the prolific T H Wyatt between 1838 and 1851 after which he practised alone. Holy Trinity church therefore is among his first solo commissions.

SOURCES: Newman, J., The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald (1969), 400.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Holy Trinity Church, Markbeech, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a good example of a small-scale early Victorian Gothic Revival church in the early English style by a well-known architect. * It retains a number of fixtures of interest from the original building, including reredos, pulpit, stained glass and pewing.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 47477 42769


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:47:44.

End of official listing