Sandhurst War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Green, Sandhurst


Ordnance survey map of Sandhurst War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:11:16.


Statutory Address:
The Green, Sandhurst

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 79841 28399


First World War memorial, 1923, by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Sandhurst War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall; * Design: a simple yet elegant cross, exceptionally with kerbing extending outwards to form a cross pattern, with benches and a flower bed at the ends of the cross arms; * Group value: with nearby listed buildings, notably the Grade II-listed Clocktower Monument.


Sandhurst’s War Memorial Committee, chaired by Herbert Alexander, chose a site on Goddards Green in the heart of the village. It would seem the commission for Lutyens arose through his close personal friendship with James Wilson, a local resident. The memorial was dedicated in August 1923 by Viscount Goschen. The addition of ‘S’ to the final line of the dedication on the memorial (IN THE GREAT WARS) shows the many and various ways in which people sought to modify memorials to include the fallen of the Second World War.

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.


The memorial stands on the northern part of The Green alongside the main road through the village, with the Grade II-listed Clocktower Monument of 1889 rising behind it on the memorial’s main axis and contributing to perhaps the most elaborate setting of all of Lutyens’ memorial crosses. The memorial comprises a Portland stone War Cross, the shaft lozenge sectioned with a sword and wreath in relief. The shaft tapers into a three-stage rectangular plinth. That carries the inscription: (top section) TO THE BRAVE MEN/ OF/ SANDHURST/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WARS; (middle section) 1939-1945 (NAMES); (bottom section) 1914-1919 (NAMES). There is a small, shallow, two-stage square base.

From the memorial pairs of parallel strips of Portland stone run outwards, forming a cross in the grass surround. Low, broad, stone benches form the termination of three of the arms, while a small circular flower bed, again edged with Portland stone, lies at the foot of the shaft of the cross arrangement.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2015

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 December 2016.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 84, 176
War Memorials Online, accessed 01/12/2016 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 01/12/2016 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00294/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hunt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].