NETLEY CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1336957

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1974

Statutory Address: NETLEY CASTLE, ABBEY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETLEY CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1336957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:48:40.

Location

Statutory Address: NETLEY CASTLE, ABBEY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Eastleigh (District Authority)

Parish: Hound

National Grid Reference: SU 45113 08862

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/01/2013

SU 40 NE 8/154 21.10.74 5230

HOUND ABBEY HILL (OFF) Netley Castle

II*

1542, the core of the structure is a coastal fort, one of a series built in the Solent area by Henry VIII. The lower walling belongs to this period and the curving top of the parapet shows in several places, with some splayed apertures which protected the gun emplacements. Weighted and altered circa 1840-60 with the addition of a Gothic tower. The building was extensively remodelled circa 1885-90 to the designs of Sedding (1889 on rainwater heads) in a Gothic/Baronial style. A central block of 2 storeys, attic and basement is a plain mssive unit, with deep splayed reveals (like loopholes) to the openings and rounded corner turrets. It has 3 gables above the castellated parapet. On the south front there are 4 first floor windows, a band, and on the ground floor a central bay resting on a splayed basement. On the north (entrance) front there is a 2-storeyed porch with a window on each side, those on the ground floor appearing as later large mullioned and transomed insertions. The wings are more complex, with a grading outwards of the Gothic treatment towards a more domestic style. The north wing has 3 storeys and basement, with an octagonal stair turret on the corner. The south wing is 2-storeyed (of about equal height) but ends in a prominent octagonal tower, with its own octagonal stair turret. Within the general symmetry the detail of fenestration is rich in variation, in the Gothic manner. Stone walling. Casement windows. Inside, the main rooms continue the elaborate Gothic treatment. The entrance hall has a massive fireplace at one end and at the other a grand timber staircase, at the top of which an organ has been built into a recess. A billiard room is fully panelled. The first floor of the south wing is a panelled apartment of irregular shape, and includes a section within the Tower, with an oriel window. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SU4516309217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355004

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing