This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1337175



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Bromley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/107 Church of St. Mary 17/11/66 - II*

Parish church. Early C12 Nave. The Chancel was rebuilt C14, lower stages of West Tower early C15 with the upper stage rebuilt C16. South porch C16. C19 and C20 restorations. Puddingstone rubble, part plastered. Stone dressings. Red brick to upper stages of West Tower. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel. Plastered plinth. Splayed angle buttress. Stepped chimney stack to west of north wall. Memorial plaque, east wall to John Risbie 1761, Elizabeth Risbie 1773 and seven of his children. East window of 3 pointed lights, intersecting tracery, 2 centre arched head. Wooden crucifix to gable apex. North wall windows of one trefoiled light. South wall, eastern window of one cinquefoiled light. Low set trefoiled western window. Between these windows is a moulded 2 centre arched doorway with a plank and muntin door. Nave, north wall eastern window of 3 cinquefoil lights, moulded segmental head. C12 round headed western window. To west of this is the C14 blocked north doorway with chamfered 2 centre arch. South wall, C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a 4 centred head with a C12 round headed window to west and east, the latter blocked. Below the western window is a memorial dated 1775. South doorway C14, moulded 2 centred arch, label with headstops, graffiti on jambs. Nailed plank and muntin double doors with strap hinges, C16. Royal Arms of Hanover above door, said to be cast by Wallis and Coleman who owned the first Colchester Iron Foundry. C16 timber framed and plastered South Porch with arched braces to tie beams and arch braced roof structure, side lights to returns. West Tower of 3 stages, the upper crenellated and of C16 red brick. Stepped angle buttresses. Plinth. Bands to parapet and second stage. Early C16 2 light cinquefoiled windows, tracery over, 2 centred heads and stopped labels to each face of bell chamber. Rectangular stair turret with small lights to second stage of south wall. Round headed light to secondstage of north wall, C15. Cinquefoiled 3 light west window with vertical tracery, segmental pointed head, label with head stops. C15 west doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centred arch, square head, label with head stops and sunk spandrels. Double vertically boarded doors with upper lights. Interior. Probably C19 Nave and Chancel boarded barrel vaulted roof, moulded octagonal king posts, crenellated wall plates, original wall plates to Nave. Chancel. Red tiled floor to Sanctuary, stone slabs elsewhere. C14 Piscina, moulded jambs, 2 centred arched head, quatrefoil drain. Stone shelf with moulded soffit to north wall. Circa 1700 altar rails with turned balusters and moulded rails. Circa 1926 panelled reredos. Circa 1914-18 War memorial. C20 stained glass to north and south depicting Archbishop Laud and King Charles, reading "Remember Charles Stuart, King and Martyr 1649". No Chancel arch. Nave. Panelled oak pulpit. C20 stained glass to windows. 1806 charity board relating to bequest of ?10 from Mr. John Barton to"the poor of Little Bromley. Chamfered segmental rear arches to north and south doorways. West Tower, chamfered 2 centred arch, date uncertain. C15/C16 octagonal font, the side carved alternately with roses and symbols of the Evangelists, soffit with 4 angels holding hearts or shields. 4 buttresses to stem, chamfered base. 2 centred stair turret doorway, nailed and edged door with scutcheon plate and handle. Solid tread lower stairs to turret. Round headed rear arch to west doorway. Organ loft with 5 shields of arms to front of gallery. The organ, hand pumped said to be circa 1820. 4 bells. The 2 oldest said to be the work of Robert Burford of London circa 1392-1418, their legends read "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro Nobis" and "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictom", the other 2 were cast circa 1898, Bowell and Son of Ipswich to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM0917527821

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

National Grid Reference: TM 09175 27821


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1337175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 08:26:09.

End of official listing