COPT HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, PAVILIONS AND CONSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1337306
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Nov-1989
Statutory Address:
COPT HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, PAVILIONS AND CONSERVATORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of COPT HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, PAVILIONS AND CONSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1337306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 01:28:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
COPT HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, PAVILIONS AND CONSERVATORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Epping Upland
National Grid Reference:
TL 43017 01463

Details

In the entry for the following:- TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND

6/11 Copt Hall

II

The address shall be amended to read:

TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND

6/11 Copt Hall and attached walls, pavilions and conservatory

GV II And the description shall be amended to read: Also known as Copped Hall. Country House. Built c.1751-8, probably by John Sanderson for John Conyers; internal remodelling by James Wyatt. c 1775; extended and remodelled c.1895 by C E Kempe for Edward James Wythes. Flemish bond brick with Portland stone dressings. Double-depth plan flanked by screen walls, extended to right c.1895. Palladian style. 3 storeys. East and west fronts each of 2:3:2 fenestration with pedimented centre. East front has central porch with moulded cornice and semi-circular arched rusticated doorway, having paterae with festoons in spandrels; rusticated quoining to ground floor, which has square-headed architraves to windows; raised cill band beneath first- floor windows which have cornices and pulvinated friezes over architraves; square-headed architraves to second-floor windows. Similar fenestration to 4-bay left (south) side wall, with eared architrave to c.1895 doorway. West (garden) front has similar fenestration and tetrastyle Ionic pilastered portico built in stone by Kempe, c.1895; doubled staircase (balcony removed) rises on rusticated basement with 3 round-arched openings to first-floor piano mobile, which has pedimented full-height window openings; sculptured figures flank pedimented sundial in tympanum. All elevations have modillioned stone cornices, balustraded parapets and chimneystacks with moulded stone caps by Kempe, c.1895. Addition to right, of 4 x 4 bays, is also by Kempe and in matching style, with 2 bays to left of west front faced in stone ashlar with Ionic corner pilasters. Subsidiary features: east front is flanked by blind arcaded screen walls, of 4 bays to right and 5 to left, with stone parapet and impost band running to end pavilions, each with broken pediment over semi-circular arched niche; paterae between arches on right. Conservatory attached to south (left), built c.1895 and of L-plan with wing extending to west: 6-bay rusticated west elevation, with Ionic columns and balustraded parapet to central gateway; rear wing has 6-bay blind arcade with banded rustication articulated by Ionic half- columns rising to dentilled cornice. Copt Hall has remained derelict since it was destroyed by fire in 1917. (National Monuments Record; VCH; Country Life, Vd 28 (1910), pp 610-17, 646-53; M McCarthy, 'Sir Roger Newdigate: drawings for Copt Hall, Essex, and Arbury Hall, Warwickshire', Architectural History, Vol 16 (1973), pp 26-36; 'Copthall, Essex', in H Colvin, J Harris (ed.), The Country Seat, Studies in the history of the British Country House presented to Sir John Sumnerson, 1975, pp 18-29.

------------------------------------

TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND 6/11 Copt Hall II

House. Circa 1775 by James Wyatt, altered early C20. In stock brick with Portland stone dressings. 3 Storeys. 2,3,2 window range. Angle quoins to ground floor only. Band over. Centre projects slightly to full height with pediment over. Ground floor window openings with cill band, architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices. Centre window similar with ramped sides, and cornice on consoles. Top floor window openings are square with architraves. Stone modillioned cornice and balustrade all early C20. Ground floor has flat headed, solid, slightly projecting porch. Round headed rusticated doorway, paterae in spandrels with swags, and cornice over. To right and left are screen walls of single storey height, culminating in stone pavilions. Arcaded with coping. The Pavilions are taller and wider, and crowned by pediments. The screen walls are of unequal length, 4 bays on the right and 5 bays on the left. Behind the right hand screen is an external 3 storey wing in matching style. Garden front similar with C20 attached tetrastyle Ionic pilastered portico in Portland stone with Portland stone walling between. Elaborate sculpture in pediment. In the centre, on the ground floor is a projecting terrace for the piano mobile, with 3 round headed openings. The balustrading is missing. Elaborate early C20 chimneys. Interior completely destroyed by fire in 1917. The building is a shell with no roof, windows or doors. (Country Life 29/10/10).

Listing NGR: TL4301701463

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
118702
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Essex, (1903)
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, , Vol. 16, (1973), 26-36
'Country Life' in 10 October, (1910), 610-617
'Country Life' in 10 October, (1910), 646-653
'The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House' in Copthall Essex, (1975)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].