PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1338347
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338347.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:15:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Helions Bumpstead
National Grid Reference:
TL 65136 41664

Details

TL 64 SE HELIONS BUMPSTEAD CHURCH HILL 2/28 Parish Church of 21/6/62 St. Andrew

GV II*

Parish church, C13 and later. Plastered flint rubble with dressings of limestone and clunch. W tower, S porch and vestry of red brick roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Chancel mid-C13, Nave possibly older but date uncertain, S arcade mid-C14, S aisle rebuilt early C16 and repaired in C19, clerestorey early C16, W tower, S porch and vestry early C19. The Chancel has a C15 E window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with restored mullions and tracery under a 2-centred head with drip-mould; the external reveals are hollow-moulded. At the W end of the N wall is a mid-C13 lancet window, rebated and chamfered externally, with chamfered rear-arch. In the S wall are 3 similar windows; the sill of the easternmost is carried down to form a seat; the westernmost is a low-side window of which the lower part is blocked. Between the 2 westernmost windows is a doorway of uncertain date with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, plain ledged door and draw-bar holes. There is a piscina with chamfered jambs, 2-centred head and hexagonal drain, probably C13. The 2-centred chancel arch is mid-C13, restored; it is of 2 moulded orders with keeled attached shafts, moulded capitals and bases. The N wall of the Nave has 2 windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights and tracery, restored, with 2-centred head and rear-arch. Further W is the late C15 N doorway, now blocked externally; it has hollow- chamfered jambs and 2-centred rear-arch. The S arcade is of 4 bays, mid-C14, altered in the early C16 when the S aisle was rebuilt; the 2-centred arches are of 2 chamfered orders, the piers octagonal with moulded capitals and bases; the E respond is obscured by plaster below the moulded capital, and the W respond has a semi-octagonal attached shaft with a moulded capital and no base. The clerestorey has on both sides 4 early C16 windows each of 2 uncusped lights with Y-tracery under a 4-centred head; the middle 2 on each side are blocked. The S aisle retains a little mid-C14 structure at the W end but was largely rebuilt in the early C16 and substantially rebuilt in brick in the early C19. The early C16 S doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch under a square-head, with segmental-pointed rear-arch. W of it is a blocked window forming an internal recess. In the W wall is a C20 window with segmental-pointed rear-arch. The Nave roof is plastered, semi-elliptical; the aisle roof is C19. The W tower was built in 1812, but the tower-arch is circa 1400, 2-centred, of 4 chamfered orders. The responds have semi-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the W half of the arch has C17 graffiti and is cut off by the C19 wall. There is a consecration cross on the NE buttress of the Nave, incised cross formy, reworked. The font is octagonal, the bowl and stem with cusped panels, C15. C15 woodwork is re-used in the C19 pulpit, S door, and seating. There are 8 bells and a clock-bell, the third by Miles Graye, 1647, the fifth by Miles Graye, undated, and the sixth by Miles Graye, 1641. On the N wall of the Chancel there are monuments (1) to Devereux Tallakarne, 1627, and Mary (Steward) his wife, tablet with terminal figures, entablature and oblisks, 3 shields and defaced inscriptions, (2) to William Gardner, 1667, and Margaret his wife, 1683, marble tablet with Ionic pilasters, cleft pediment and shield of arms. There is a floor-slab in the Chancel to William Sharpe, 1692. C18 painted texts are partly revealed above the tower arch and high on the nave walls.

Listing NGR: TL6513641664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
114099
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14682/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].